Wednesday 13 April 2011

Compact Stereo


I paid full price for it at Best Buy and I won't return it: it works just great. I bought it for my love of audiobooks on CD. The remote does everything you can think of. The unit allows you to quickly back up for several seconds and by chapter. The display shows everything. I don't own an IPod but I do own a Sansa player. The unit has an audio input and my Sansa plays perfectly via a small connector cable (The unit will play anything that has a headphone output. To use it I bought a 3.5mm to 3.5mm male/male connector on the internet.) And of course it has all the usual FM, AM, clock stuff.

Two weaknesses: if you pause the CD for a long time, it will "forget" your last heard chapter. So you need to remember where on CD you left off. Also it's not an easy to live with wake-up clock radio because its use requires too many buttons to press (use your old clock radio).

But it' a keeper for sure. Looks great, sounds great, can do absolutely everything, and takes up no real shelf space. Panasonic SC-HC35 Compact Stereo System

The SC-HC30 has great reviews on Amazon, so I figured that I would pick up the new SC-HC35 at Sears for $150. The unit looks great and has great functionality with pretty good sound for such a small unit. The downfall is a very high pitch hissing sound that is always produced except when a cd is spinning. It is similar to the noise that a tube tv makes when it is on, but a little lower frequency and much, much louder. I will be returning it today and looking for something else...perhaps the SC-HC30.

I recieved it yesterday, after a two month wait from Amazon. It replaced a six-year old Sony 'boombox' that lost several functions over time. This one is smaller and sounds better. Unpacking and set up was fairly simple, even for an old non-geek. I use it to listen to radio and music CD's while working in my home office. I am suspicious of the 'automatic' door that moves from side to side. If that fails, it becomes a radio. The antena is just a wire, separate for AM and FM, and each needs fiddling to function. Have not found the best place for the FM wire yet, and AM is a non-player for me. My wife asked "What are you gonna do with all your tapes?" I have been looking around for about 6 months for a replacement for that boombox, and all my transcription tapes I took off the air may become just a memory--those tapes are just a forgotten technology that require big bucks to really enjoy now. Civilization moves on. I will give this one a month and come back here for more comments.

I bought this product to use at my workplace for events. I am very happy with this system. The sound is VERY good, with a nice rich bass. The ipod dock cannot be used with smart phones, but there is an auxiliary jack that will work just as well. The only negative with this product is the same as the previous reviewer . . . there is a noticable high-pitched hiss coming from the unit when nothing is playing. Since I do not usually sit around with a stereo on unless it is playing something, it is not a concern for me. Nevertheless, the hiss is the only reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Compact Stereo Compact Stereo