Wednesday 13 April 2011

Micro Drill Bits - fiskars, drill


We use this all the time for hanging pictures, repairing furniture, etc. It's easy to use, it's reliable and steady and is the perfect tool for anyone who needs a small drill for home projects. We considered buying a power drill when we bought our house a few years ago but we've found that this hand drill works fine for everything we do here. Fiskars 8511 6984 PowerGrip Hand Drill

This sensual and sturdy tool is perfect for drilling most holes around the house: hanging pictures, starting screws or nails, small repairs, etc. Compact size fits in hand comfortably, this drill makes me want to drill holes. It comes with four drill bits. I was skeptical of the big rubber band that holds the drills when they are not in use, but it has proven to be very functional and has lasted almost ten years, so far.



I am updating this review after nine years to state that the drill bits that came with the drill are wearing out (easily replaced with new sharp ones), but the rubber band is still going strong.



When I bought my Fiskars drill it did come with 4 drill bits, like the photo on the product page indicates as of today April 3, 2011. However I just checked on the Fiskars company web site and the drill indeed comes with no rubber band or drill bits. The newer "Craft Hand Drill" does come with the drill bits and storage facility. The drill as sold here is different in that regard from the one I reviewed.

At first I thought I was going to use it for very simple things around the house... Little did I know, this hand drill went through pine, maple and oak like hot knife through butter. Trying to find its limits, I used it in galvanized steel (12GA). What a surprize, after a couple of cranks I was there. Amazing little thing, I cannot do without after a week, useful for light and not so light work. It takes around 5-6 holes to get used to it but if you do that, your life will be easier without batteries and cords. VERY good tool, can do more than you can imagine.

This is one of the most used tools I own. It is so much easier than hauling out the power drill. It does take some skill to use well but it is SO handy that it is worth the effort. I think I need another one so I have twice the chance of being able to find it. Mine is Yellow BTW.

This will work fine for light duty work such as drilling holes for putting a screw in the wall to hang a picture frame. But if you try anything more strenuous than that, be warned: I managed to strip the gears inside, they are clearly not made of metal but of plastic. Whats more, the drill seems to be hermetically sealed; I was not able to open it up to try to fix it. You might be better off with an old fashioned metal-gear hand drill (such as the Stanley Hand Drill). The kind grampa used to have (and the kind grampa used for his entire life without it ever breaking on him). I'd choose metal gears over plastic gears any day. Even for a light duty hand drill (which, if you dont have a power drill, you're doing light duty work by definition!).

This is my second one of these drills. The other was the Sears Craftsman version which I ran over with my car after 10 years. For quick work and smaller jobs - drilling picture frames, wall board and the ilke, this little guy can't be beat. It is very light, and fills your hand nicely making it very easy for accurate positioning. An inherent feature of hand drilling is that you have perfect control of the bit - speed and feed (or pressure, if you like). The shape makes for easy carry in a tool belt or in your pocket. My only complaint with this one is that the Fiskars drill lacks the little recesses on the forward housing to hold bits (with a rubber band that goes around the nose) The Sears model has this. This tool is practically indestructable, doesn't need electricity, and does very nice work. I'm sure this one will last just as long as my other.

I purchased this drill for my 6yr old son. I am familiar with the hand drills my father used and thought this would be close to the same thing. well its not! my son likes to drill holes in wood. the first hole seamed to go well. Three holes later I could hear the gears slipping. If my six year old son is wearing it out already then this thing is poorly made, in other words, Junk!



PS: I gave it one star because it looks cool. - Fiskars - Drill - Manual Drill - Hand Drill'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Micro Drill Bits - fiskars, drill manual drill Micro Drill Bits - fiskars, drill