Wednesday 13 April 2011

Bellaonline Recommended - bellaonline recommended, homeschooling


This book covers some very important concepts that parents can use to help their young children learn math. Through simple games, it is possible to stimulate kids to learn math without being stopped by "math phobia". I've read several math books for children lately, but this one impressed me the most! It is a very practical approach. Though the book is geared for K-3rd grade, I found that my 5th grader also enjoys playing these games with her younger sister, who is in K. I wish Peggy Kaye would write another book geared for older children as well. She has a refreshing writing style. This book is awesome and fun! Games for Math

This book is the best! The games and approach have worked very well with the Title One kids that I tutor, providing a fun way to work on skills. The author has an easy writing style that talks the reader through each activity, explaining variations and "what if's". She also provides information on the psychology of learning (such as, "What is a 6 year old's concept of number?") that is geared to the parent and a separate addendum that is geared to teachers.

I recommend this book at almost every workshop I do. It contains fun, easy games and activities to do that teach math skills. The book itself is fun to read and the games are real games, not made up activities to do with flash cards. I highly recommend anyone who works with young children to get a copy of this book.

I took this book out of the library hoping it would have some fun ideas for my four year old. I was not disappointed! The games are lots of fun and I appreciate that the author takes the time to explain what they are learning. We're only doing section one because of my daughter's age, but flipping through the book the other sections look good too. I am definitely buying this one and intend to look at the other books by this author too. I highly recommend this for any child!

My 1st grade daughter hates to study. She screams and rolls her eyes when I bring out the math workbook. Unfortunatly, I have to work with her beacause she's not doing well in math. After looking at a number of books on the subject, and not seeing much to my liking, I found this one. It's wonderful. You really can play these games with your child, help them with math, and they don't even know they're studying. This book (actually this whole series of books) would be great for any child. Those doing well in math will love these games, those doing poorly in math might actually enjoy math for the first time. I've started with a simple solitaire game to help my daughter with addition. This one takes a bit of time, about 10 minutes, but there are plenty of others that you can do any time, for just a couple of minutes. A few of the games are a bit more involved, but they're all fun and the author does a great job explaining exaclty how each game will help your child learn, how often it should be played and for how long. My 6 year old is at a good age for the book, and I can see that I will have some good games for later too. There are some games that my 4 year old likes as well. I wish I could give this book 6 stars. It's really great!

I bought this book based on the reviews I had seen on Amazon. I was hoping that it would be a book that was chock full of ideas for my Kindergarten classroom. I have gotten a few ideas, but it seemed to really focus more on grades 2-3.

"Games for Math" is geared for children from kindergarten through fourth grade. I'm a mother of seven children, and I've taught math classes and concepts for several years. These games can be a key for children to have fun and enjoy math without realizing how much they are learning. I'm glad to have tools like this book. Taking fear from children's hearts concerning math...showing them the simple concepts, and how God uses math to show His order and abundance...these are my goals when teaching math. This book is a very helpful aid in doing so.

Most of the activities in this book are explained in hard to understand, narrative style. Look at this example from the beginning of the description for an activity called STAR COUNT.



"After one round of Star Count, my scorecard looked like this: (illustration).



Elise, a first-grade math fan, had a scorecard that looked like this: (illustration).



Elise let out a moan. 'You won.'"



It goes on like this for another page and a half. So as the reader you need to guess how the game is played, instead of the author clearly stating it. While I am working with children, I want to be able to use the book as a quick reference guide, not a riddle. If the author really needs to put in these stories of individual children playing the game, it should be placed after a succinct explanation of how to play the game.



This book has been on my shelf for two years, but I have never found it very useful. On the other hand, I highly recommend Family Math by Jean Kerr Stenmark. It is written in a very clear style, and the activities are more interesting.

I have been teaching for many years in the classroom, as a tutor and also as a homeschooling mom. I have found all of Peggy Kaye's books to be top of the line. I love that they are usually short and don't require any additional purchased materials. Most games use nothing more than paper, pencil, dice and maybe some sort of counter like paper clips or pennies. This book and her Games for Learning are books that I have recommended over and over. - Teaching Resource - Mathematics - Bellaonline Recommended - Homeschooling'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Bellaonline Recommended - bellaonline recommended, homeschooling bellaonline recommended Bellaonline Recommended - bellaonline recommended, homeschooling