Wednesday 13 April 2011

Electronic Music - usb cables, flip video


Not much to say about this cable except that it works and is reasonably priced. One end is a USB plug, the other a USB port-like connector, which allows you to plug things into your computer's USB port from a distance of a few feet. I was just looking for a cheap cable that would let me plug a Flip Video camera into my laptop (I figured I was bound to break that side-arm off the camera eventually if I kept plugging it directly into the USB port...no doubt I'd forget about it as I was moving the computer around). Anyway, it works fine for my purposes. Cables To Go 19003 USB A Male to A Female Extension Cable, White (1 Meter/3.28 Feet)

Thank god for Amazon reviews! I got a Flip Video a couple of months ago and had some trouble getting it to work, partly because the software wouldn't upload from the Flip to my computer and partly because I couldn't squeeze in the USB port on the side of the camcorder to the already crowded back panel of my computer. When you look at the accessories page for the Flip, you'll see a cord made specially for the Flip. It gets unbelievably awful reviews, the most common complaint being that it simply doesn't fit. So, based on those almost universally awful reviews, I sought other options. I'm glad I did!



This cord works perfectly with my Flip. I've been somewhat slow to use my Flip, but this cord is one of the things that is going to help me do more. I definitely recommend it as one of the essential items for anyone owning a Flip Video.

On my Dell, access to the USB ports is either in the back under the desk or in the front, under some plastic overhang, and skewed sideways. Either way it was a pain to use for something that you need to plug in and out a lot like an iPod or digital camera. Worse, they are impossible to use with something like the flip video that has a built-in USB plug on a short arm.



So I decided to get an extension cable so that I could plug in anything easily. I checked out Staples and Radio Shack and found $25 minimum for a simple A/A cable. But amazon and Cables-to-go came through with an inexpensive 10 foot cable that simplifies hooking up my peripherals to my computer. (I probably could have gotten away with the 3 foot cable but better to be too long than too short.) I plug in the cable and leave the other end disconnected on top of the PC where it waits patiently to be needed. The cable feels solid and gives every impression of being able to hold up to some abuse. I have used it with my iPod, my digital camera, and my flip video camera without any problems.



Anyone who buys a flip video camera MUST buy either the 10 foot or three foot A/A cable. Everyone else should buy it so that they don't have to struggle to get their iPod or digital camera hooked up. It does the job it is supposed to do, does it well, is solidly built, and is cheaper than anything else I could find. Strongly recommended.



Update (December 2008): I have had it for over a year and have had no problems with the cable. Well worth the price.

I was unable to even find any male/female extension USB cables at my local bricks & mortar stores, and the male/male cables available cost an arm and a leg.

These cables are extraordinarily low priced, arrived in the blink of an eye, fit perfectly, are of heavy construction, and work like a charm.

I couldn't be happier.

My FLIP Camera has a USB port that hangs precariously onto my computer, so I bought these lengthy cables. Now I can set my FLIP Camera on my desk and pass the information through the cable to my computer's USB ports. I don't know why FLIP didn't think of this sooner. No chance of breaking the FLIP USB port anymore. Plus these cables are dirt cheap and very well made!

The cable is just the thing for plugging in your Flip Camera into an otherwise inaccessible USB port. The Flip interface works well for laptops, but not so well withdesktops. Flip has a set of 3 cables for $15, but if you don't have 3 cameras it's kind of redundant. This cable was a fraction of price and works fine. I also bought 2 more for hooking in my peripheral USB devices with longer cables that otherwise would stretch and pull out if I need to remove the computer tower from my desk. An excellent and economical buy.

I ordered 2 of these USB extensions.

With USB 2.0 devices (5 devices tested) one cable worked sometimes and the second cable worked rarely.

With USB 1.1/1.0 devices (USB mice and keyboard) both cables worked fine.



Be warned, these are not high speed cables. - Usb - Cables - Flip Video - Usb Cables'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information