Thursday 28 April 2011

Cuisinart Gr-4 Griddler


Improvements over previous model are the reversable grill plates that snap in and out very easily and now you do not have 2 extra plates to store somewhere. The grease catch pan is integrated into the bottom and removes very easily for cleaning. Cleanup is a snap: take off the 2 grill plates and they wash and cleanup so easy I don't bother putting them in the dishwasher. Clean the drip tray and you are done. Fast & easy.

I disagree with those that say it is great for cooking small meals or for a small family. It cooks the meat so fast, you better not walk away. First thing I cooked were good sized hamburgers & they were at 180° in 5 minutes. The next 4 were perfectly cooked at 4 minutes. Used the Sear setting per the instruction book with the grill preheated. New York Strip sirloins were done in 3 1/2 to 4 minutes on the Sear setting. Fast cooking & the meat is eye appealing with the grill marks on both sides. Batch number 3 will be pork chops tonight.

Granted, it doesn't quite do the job my Weber grill does outside, but when it is 15 below zero, the Griddler is very nice to have for indoor winter usage.



Great indoor grill, cooks fast, easy cleanup... I highly recommend it.

I have been looking for a quality multifunctional griddle and was ecstatic when I found this one! A lot of options packed into this griddler and getting 40% off sealed the deal.



Pros:

-compact when closed therefore easy to store.

-heats quickly and evenly.

-makes the best paninis I've ever had; crisp on the outside.

-grilling inside when the weather outside is bad is a huge plus.

-can grill open or closed depending on how much I need to make and the type of food.

-the lid conforms to the thickness of the food.

-easy to clean.

-drip tray catches every bit of grease.

-because of the multiple options it replaces several older and bulkier appliance I had.



Cons:

-can't think of any.

The grill works great, BUT, the non-stick finish was peeling off one of the grill plates after just one week of use!!! I sent several emails to them regarding this, and despite their pat "we will respond shortly", I never got ANY response!!! I went on-line to register this product as soon as I got it, and was expecting a response AND a new grill plate, but got neither!! I will never purchase a Cuisinart product again because of their piss-poor customer service.

I liked the griddler despite the fact you can't clean the cooking plates well because of the so called non stick surface. I used it often according to the coking instruction booklet that came with the appliance. After a short time the plastic locking clips that hold the removable plates in place became brittle and broke off. The top plate will not secure to the lid rendering the appliance useless . This is an expensive throw away.

I'm a single guy living in NYC and was looking for an easy-to-use appliance to make quick, delicious food. I could not be more pleased with this purchase. With a bare minimum of prep, I've made delicious paninis, burgers, steaks, ham and eggs, and pancakes, among other things.



The designers thought of everything when putting this together. The reversible non-stick cooking surfaces on either side are easy to switch and simple to clean. The top adjusts simply to any thickness for whatever you may be cooking, whether a flat panini or a thick steak, and provides and even heat on both top and bottom.



My favorite thus far has been to take a whole wheat sandwich roll brushed with olive oil, add a few basil leaves, roasted peppers, sopressata and provolone, and within 3-4 minutes I have a truly delicious panini cooked perfectly throughout. Once when I was stuck with no bread, I improvised and piled cheese atop roasted peppers and roast chicken pieces on the flat surfase and closed the top. The cheese melted and browned beautifully and when it came time to take my creation off the griddle, it didn't stick at all to either surface and I was left with a beautiful bachelor's special. I've also open the griddle completely and cooked fried eggs with salami and pimentos on one side and pancakes on the other (again, neither stuck at all and everything was simple to flip).



The only complaints I have are as follows:



- When it heats up, the whole unit gets quite hot (except for the handle) so you just need to be careful not to accidentally touch the top/sides.



- The edges to the removable cooking surfaces are not quite raised high enough so really juicy foods may drip/splatter over the edge a bit (it helps to ever-so-slightly tip the unit back so that the juices run towards the drip spout)



Other than that, I really appreciate the quality of the unit, the size/design, the ease-of-use and the price. Strongly recommend.

Do NOT buy this product! The cord & plug overheated after just three uses. If I hadn't been in the kitchen while the griddle preheated, it would have resulted in a fire. As it is, I will have to replace the receptacle. I found other complaints of the cord overheating, some with more disastrous results.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information