Tuesday 22 March 2011

Pots And Pans - pots and pans, pan


I had been toying with the idea of a non-stick "grill pan" for some time, and could never justify the expense... After all, I had a large George Foreman, and used it very rarely.



But I was running out of cookware to shop for <grin>, and began tracking several with the plan of buying the first one that came on at a great price.... I tracked both All Clads, and this one. I almost bought the large All Clad, but discovered they didn't qualify for the Amazon promotion, so that blew that!



Then this one came up at $29.99 and I jumped all over it!



I have done beef steaks, pork steaks and salmon on it with excellent results. Cleanup, though not a breeze, is quick enough. Cooking residue tends to stick tighter on either side of the rounded ribs, but I have yet to need anything more than a little dish soap and hot water on a terry dish cloth.



One caveat - I seriously doubt those with solid top Electric Ranges will be satisfied with this pan. The bottom is not smooth, but rather follows the ridged cooking surface - in reverse. I am not familiar with these ranges, but understand a perfectly flat surface is essential to successful cooking.



Now I'm thinking about the 11" square griddle....



;0))



PK

This is the perfect hamburger or grilled fish pan -- and it also makes great panninis, so you don't have to clutter up your kitchen with an extra single-use pan. Fits 4 burgers at a time and as long as you take care of it properly, sears nicely without anything sticking. More useful than the round shape, and easier to get the spatula in to turn things. Highly recommended.

Pros - Very nonstick, browns meat well even if it's nonstick, easy to clean up, easy to carry, stay cool metal handles, useful shape and size.



Cons - Like all nonstick, can't use high heat.



I've only had this pan a week, so I'm not sure how well it will hold up, but it's performed excellently so far. I used it to sear a whole beef tenderloin (before transferring to a roasting pan for the oven). The instructions said to avoid high heat, so I seared it over the equivalent of medium high heat on my 22K burner. The roast browned beautifully and I got good grill marks in the center (not as much towards the corners, but maybe because I didn't brown long enough).



Clean up was a breeze, with a couple drops of dishwashing liquid, hot water, and a soft bristle brush to scrub lightly.



I've also fried bacon, and the square shape makes it easy to pour out the rendered fat.



It's been easier & faster to preheat this pan than to preheat (& later clean) my range's grill burner, so I think I'll be using this more often than my grill burner.



I like it's lightweight feel, it's much easier to carry when laden with food than my previous Calphalon nonstick 12" saute pan (which always felt heavy & "tippy"), but it can fit just as much due to its square shape.



The handle truly stayed cool even when used to sear the tenderloin, and the round shape makes it easy to grasp (unlike the more flat handles of other pans).

I was given this pan for christmas as I requested a grill pan. First off the ridges in the pan are so shallow that they are mere bumps and the meat lays on the bottom of the pan. You might as well be cooking your meat in a flat bottomed pan, seriously this IS the case. Secondly you cannot get this pan hot enough to cook/sear meat. Remember non stick pans are not supposed to be heated to high heat. It does clean up well that is all I can say for it but if you have a flat bottomed non stick pan you have the same thing. Go to the store and look at these pans before you buy this one. In order to get grill marks on a piece of meat you need that meat to be held up by the ridges and a grill pan should let the grease drain to the bottom, this pan absolutely does neither. The one plus is you can actually saute onions in the pan after you cook the steak which you can't do in a REAL griddle pan, I know because I gave this pan away and purchased a proper cast iron grill pan and steaks taste like they are supposed to, GRILLED! Not FRIED or BOILED in their on FAT!!

Its the perfect size pan and easy to clean. I've cooked Thai stayle Chicken Satay sticks and salmon on it and it makes those awesome grill lines. I love using this pan...its so much easier & faster than using then firing up the outdoor grill.

I saw a friend who had this pan and I used it for chicken skewers which had to go into a hot oven. I liked that it was able to be in a hot oven yet was nonstick. Then I realized it was just what my husband wanted as he is the breakfast chef and had mentioned he wanted a square pan for cooking his bacon. So I bought it and it is perfect for making bacon fast and keeping it flat in the pan, not to mention all it's other uses and easy cleanup. - Kitchen - Hard-anodized - Cookware - Pan - Pots And Pans - Cooking'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information