Saturday 26 March 2011

Peltor Earmuffs - hearing protector, peltor earmuffs


Because I am/was a firearm instructor I own a half dozen muffs including a pair a pair of electonic Peltors. These are my favorite at 10% of the cost of electronic muffs.



I bought them for trap/skeet. My Browning has an adjustable comb but these do NOT interfere with mounting the shotgun or getting a proper cheek weld as do the large electronic muffs.



They are VERY comfortable, in fact too comfortable, you will forget to take them off. I forgot to put them on one time and shot a double on the skeet range. It is a testiment to their effectiveness as my ears rang for three days afterwards.



I highly recommend these to you. They are inexpensive but are EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE and WORK VERY WELL. What more could you ask? Peltor 97011 Shotgunner Hearing Protector

These earmuffs are quite good. I am a firm believer in the Peltor brand. However, depending on what you're using them for, you may be better suited getting a different model, such as the Peltor H10A earmuffs (which I also own, and are only a couple dollars more as of the time of this writing).



FYI, I use earmuffs for studying, blocking out noise while taking public transportation (e.g. trolleys, subways), protecting my hearing while vacuuming or using power tools, and generally eliminating ambient noise around me. I do not shoot skeet or target practice regularly.





Pros:



-quite comfortable to wear, despite not being as comfortable as the H10A earmuffs



-look cooler than the H10A earmuffs (if I were going to wear them in public, for instance, I would use these), both in terms of the color and the low-profile design



-if you're using them for target practice with a rifle or shotgun (which I don't, for the record), these may be your best bet since the low-profile design would get in your way less than the fairly bulky H10A design



-can fold up to become more compact for travel/storage (they become roughly the size and shape of a softball) unlike the H10A earmuffs



-reduce the noise level by 21dB (according to the specs), which is quite good





Cons:



-not quite as comfortable to wear as the H10A earmuffs, which are extremely comfortable



-don't block out as much noise as the H10A earmuffs (29 dB according to specs); the difference is slight but noticeable



-folding them up into a ball requires that you collapse the height-adjusters, meaning that every time you do so, you'll have to readjust them to your head later; in my opinion, this would not be practical to do very often



-height adjusters aren't perfect in terms of ease or speed of use (you kind of have to wiggle each of them down individually), but they are good enough as long as you're not planning on adjusting them very frequently (and they're the same as the ones on the H10A earmuffs)



-because of the fold-up design, they are not quite as easy to put on as the H10A earmuffs or other non-folding models (they're not hard to put on, they just require a little bit more effort by comparison)





All things considered, I prefer the H10A earmuffs over these whenever I'm not in public (and, thus, don't care if I look a little ridiculous). However, these are still a good pair of earmuffs and they would probably work well for most applications. Additionally, as I mentioned earlier, these may be the best bet if you are using them with a shotgun or rifle, since they are less bulky than the H10A model.

I'm very happy with these ear protectors -- so happy, that I've purchased two. They work very well for their intended purpose; i.e., as shotgun hearing protectors. They muffle the discharge of the shotgun well and are comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time. They have beveled ear cups so there's no interference with the stock of the gun. Another nice feature is that they fold up to a very compact size for easy storage in the range bag. I've also used these on the rifle range and, although adequate, they do not attenuate the sharper crack of rifle fire as well as "full size" protectors. It's clear they were designed for shotgun fire and that group of frequencies they attenuate very well. Highly recommended.

I purchased these for my boyfriend as one of his birthday presents to go with a pistol I bought him. I bought 2 pair of these and I have to say they work wonders. Without these when I shoot a gun I can't hear a thing for about 5-10 minutes afterwards, with these I can remove them and hear perfectly fine. They definitely do what they are suppose to. Don't be fooled by the price, just because they are cheap doesn't mean they don't work. They definitely work and for about 1/2 the price of the other items I have seen listed on Amazon and some other websites. If you do a lot of target practicing or shoot a gun a lot, I would highly recommend purchasing these to save your hearing. They are adjustable, and you will still be able to hear alittle if someone is talking to you. This was a great investment in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again in the future. - Peltor Earmuffs - Hearing Protector - Shooting - Safety'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information