Saturday 26 March 2011

Ipad Accessories - ipad accessories, travel


Nice device, but a couple of real drawbacks.



It is heavy. Sometimes heavy is good, and perhaps I'm looking at this from the perspective of an ultralight backpack hammock camper, which I am , but this thing is quite heavy. It is 7 ounces, which us "gram weenies" know is the size of an entire camping cook stove. LOL If you're just going to the coffee shop with it, it's not a back breaker, though. Just eat your Wheaties, okay.



The main problem with it for iPAd is that it opens and closes in such a way that when you peck on the iPad, it wants to close. The hind leg should have been built the other way so that pressure on the Ipad would open the stand, not close it. On several occasions, just from pecking on the iPad for a while--and I'm not Hercules or anything--the Compass stand will just close up and my iPad falls flat on the table. Hard. I actually am thinking about a work around to put a rubber ball or pencil inside the "crotch", if you will, of teh Compass so that it can't close. But for forty bucks, I shouldn't have to do this. To me, this is a major problem with the Compass stand, and had I to do it again, I might opt as others online have for a dish display stand. At Michael's or Hobby Lobby, they have plate stand displays, they are plastic or wood, they open up like a book, and they are lightweight and cost about $5 each. Many use this successfully with the iPad. It doesn;t allow the low, or flat, position like the Compass, but then again my SmartCover allows me to do that already anyhow.



So, middling marks for a stand that is solid, strong, sturdy, but tends to fold flat (trust me, use it for a while and if you peck your iPad, it'll shut on you) closed at the wrong times, is slightly heavy, and is very pricey,



Hope that helps, click above if it did, your opinions may vary and that's fine, you should write a review, too. Bye bye.



Addendum April 18: I can't take it any longer. The back leg that props this up is simply not at an angle that prevents the iPad from falling. I went to Michael's and bought a $5 wooden fold flat display plate holder, and it works superbly (just as others online have said). I never return anything to Amazon, but I am returning this Compass stand. It's a loser, to me. Particularly for forty bucks. The company clearly put design before function on this one. Avoid this product. Use the plate holder. Wood Plate Stand - Black - 9 Inch



Addendum: I bought also an Arkon standArkon Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, Galaxy Tab, BlackBerry Play Book and my review is there of it. Very superior to this Compass stand in every way. Sorry, Twelve South, back to the drawing board for you.



I still use the plate stand, too. So, the plate stand and the expensive Compass stand re NOT adjustable for tilt angle. The Akron stand is.



If you found some benefit in this review, please click Helpful above and I will keep posting reviews. Thanks a lot. Twelve South Compass Portable Stand for iPad and iPad2

I travel a lot. Unfortunately, the Compass Stand appears on airport security scanners as a heavy, metal object in the shape of a knife. I just returned from a five-country, European trip. Each time I passed through security, I was stopped and asked to demonstrate the purpose of the "dense metal object" in my carry-on luggage.



I love the design and size of the stand. Sadly, its solid makeup is also the cause of travel problems. I'm more upset with the paranoid state of airline security than I am with the folks at TwelveSouth, who deserve a lot of praise for the stand's design.

I love the look and feel of this, it is very compact, and unlike others I don't mind the weight if it makes the product sturdy -- but it doesn't. The legs do not lock into place and have very little tension, so you have to be careful every time you set it up to make sure all three legs stay fully extended. After that, if you use your iPad for long enough, no matter how gentle, it WILL cause this thing to collapse backwards. There is some tension on the two front legs, however the hind leg will flop open and closed even just holding it in the air at an angle -- no tension whatsoever. I would love this thing to death if the hind leg would lock into place, but as it is it's a death trap for your iPad.

Twelve South makes only accessories for Apple products and they do one heck of a fine job.



I bought this stand for my new Apple iPad 2 ( white 64GB Wifi / Verizon 3G version ) and it is just fantastic.



It folds up very compact and stores in the nice included case.



It holds my iPad in a variety of positions with the cool smart case on it. I use it most often to hold my iPad upright when I type on the Apple BlueTooth wireless keyboard.



Great product. Thanks Twelve South.

I picked one up at the Apple store today and like it. Very compact and durable. I keep my iPad in a protective case so all docks are out of the question. This tiny easel is just what I needed. It is very stable when the iPad is in landscape mode for most browsing and watching movies. And if your gently and do not pound on your iPad it seems ok in portrait orientation. I will say that unlike the photos they show, it does not work very well in laid back mode. The iPad rocks a lot when you try to use it that way. Even though it's build quality is not as highly polished as the iPad, it is very solid and looks like it will last a long time.



Overall, I'm very pleased with this stand. - Ipad - Ipad Accessory - Ipad Accessories - Travel'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information