Tuesday 29 March 2011

Dvd-r Discs - dvd, blank media


The price is right. Shipping was quick enough. But so far two out of five is a dud. This ratio may go up or down as I progress through the stack, but with 20 or so used, eight have stopped writing with errors. I've never had a batch this bad.



So they're cheap enough, but the price almost doubles when you consider how many duds you have to deal with...not to mention the wasted time.



I'll try another brand next time.



EDIT: Just after I hit the publish button, I remembered something else about these. I'd actually like to bring this down to one star. I forgot to mention that I had to drag an external drive out of the closet to use these...none of my internal drives would recognize them. I think at this point all they have going for them is fast write speed. My recommendation: leave these alone. AmazonBasics 4.7 GB 16x DVD-R (100-Pack Spindle)

I'm very pleased with these dvd-r's, but I'm sad to see that the initial price was a teaser, and it is now almost double the cost of the dvd+r and cd 100 spindles. My only hope is that if and when they are back in stock, the price will decrease so that the AmazonBasics brand remains a bargain.

These blank DVDs suck. I used them to burn home movies and promotional video. I though it was my old DVD player that was not reading them, but then I bought another brand of blank DVDs (Memorex) and they worked perfectly. I also though it was the DVD burner that was not doing its work, so I tried with other burners, with same result. Thus, I can say that it was the Amazon brand that was giving me problems. It might be that I received a bad batch, but they were all consistently defective.

I have a TiVo Humax box, which has a built-in DVD burner. They don't make these any longer, and there's a good reason why. . . because it's VERY difficult to find DVD's which the darn thing will take and burn! I've purchased expensive ones. . . and cheap ones. . . and in the end, some work a little better than others, but none of them work 100% of the time. Some does even work 10% of the time! Fortunately I have a 2nd DVD burner which I'm usually able to use for the "rejects". But with the Amazon "Basics" DVD's ALL of them work! I've gone through almost a complete 100-pack spindle, and haven't had a problem with any of them! (knock on wood) I'm SO glad to find DVD's that work, and are also at a good price! If you have a "finicky" DVD burner of any type (including a Humax) then I HIGHLY recommend that you try these.



As to the write speed. . . . A DVD can only burn as fast as your DVD burner will burn. If you have a DVD burner which will only burn at 4X or 8X speed, then that's all you're going to get out of these blank DVD's. Personally, I don't have any problems with the speed.



As someone else has mentioned about the packaging. . . The idea that Amazon.com writes that they use "Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging" is TOTALLY bogus. Amazon OVER packages this item. First, the DVD's are on a spindle, like with any other manufacturer. Then They are packed in a separate box, with more cardboard inside so the spindle doesn't "bounce" around. Then that box is placed in a MUCH larger box with lots of packing "pillows". When I've ordered DVD's or another brand from Amazon.com in the past (and I've ordered a lot) they are always just the plastic spindle in a medium box and that's it. I really think that Amazon.com could get away with shipping in the original box, but so far. . .they are not doing that. . . so much for "saving the planet"!

Came with package outside dented but didnt seem to harm box or discs inside. I have burned over 100 of these discs on computer and dvd recorders (one pye lol, other one is a magnovax combo, computer is Toshiba satellite laptop. Only disc that was no good was my fault recorded wrong thing. For me these discs perform well and good value less than 20 cents a disc am in process backing up movies and plan to buy more. - Amazonbasics - Blank Media - Dvd - Dvd-r'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information