Friday 25 March 2011

Digital Slr - photography, sling


After some extensive research and try-ons, Case Logic SLRC-205 Camera Sling Bag is my current favorite bag to carry my small DSLR (Olympus E-620) and two lenses (one attached to the body).



Case Logic must have a great design team that cares. They seem to put a lot of attention on the design that not only looks good, but also very utilitarian. They keep improving the holder for the camera body with a lens attached in their camera back, the latest hammock design exhibits that. It's a very simple design that will suit various camera configuration. Such effort deserve to be praised.



It's a pleasure to carry this bag. Weight distribution of a sling bag is crucial, as the load is stressed on one shoulder (in this case, left, and there's no right shoulder option as noted by another reviewer). However, Case Logic SLRC-205 feels like feather when I put it on me with the bag fully loaded (~5 lbs. of equipment).



In the main compartment, I have put an Olympus E-620 (around the size of Canon XSi/T1i) with Zuiko 14-45mm II (3.5" long, 3" diam.) attached with hood reversed. It still has some room at the bottom to store my 50mm macro lens if desired. However, I squeezed my Giottos large rocket Blower Giottos in. It's a tight fit for that configuration. A larger camera body may have a hard time getting in without removing the neck strap. I had the quick release plate of my tripod attached to the bottom of the camera and it's a tight fit, but no problem. There is no problem in term of horizontal space.



In the extra lens pocket I was able to put a Zuiko 50-200mm in (6 1/4" long, 3.5" diam.) with its gigantic hood reversed and tripod holder attached, which makes it around 5 1/4" wide, and the pocket still has some room to spare. The nice little touch about that pocket is it has an elastic band near the bottom. I forgot to zip the bag up once, after I changed my lens, and that elastic band held the lens closer to the bag, saved my precious lens from an irreversible disaster (though a smaller lens might have felt through, so don't bet your life on it, but it's a nice contingency design).



There is also a spare pocket for small things like memory cards, battery and trinkets (I also put lens cleaning pens inside). It is more accessible than the side pocket, which is blocked by the tripod holder. My other gripe about that side pocket is it's not deep enough for a standard novel-size camera manual. I just wish there is one non-flat type pocket dedicated for larger item such as the rocket blower, and some pen holders for my lens pens. A cellphone/iPod holder on the shoulder strap would be a nice touch.



There is a filter pocket! I love the design team. They were able to squeeze so many features in a compact bag, and all except the side pocket mentioned are readily accessible when you swing the back to the front, without having to take the bag off (which is the shortcoming of a backpack style bag). The two filter nets inside it hold 67mm filters fine, though the smaller one is better suited for a 58mm filter.



The tripod holder is wonderful. I have a full-size aluminum tripod (Dolica 62" Proline with Ballhead) retracted and stored in its dedicated tripod bag. Using the two Velcro closure, the tripod was piggybacked onto the back and doesn't shift around. The tripod is longer than the sling so I won't carry a tripod that way to a crowded place. However it's nice to free your hand if you're hiking.



The shoulder strap is very comfortable and well padded. The length control is a bit weird. Instead of that plastic thing you would loop around twice, you pull the extra strap to the desired length and then roll it up like an omelet, then fasten it with a Velcro strap. I prefer the traditional plastic loop (when done right, the loop is actually more secure).



The interior padding is okay only. It's not super thick, but should be okay for minor impact. The part I'm more worried about is the spare lens pocket, as it's more exposed. Main compartment should endure concoction more. The interior material is made of high quality nylon. It feels smooth and I don't believe it'll scratch the equipment (just don't rub the lens glass with it).



There are handles tactically placed. I don't feel the content will fall out when using them. While the zippers secure the bags well, but the main compartment's zipper could be smoother when zipped around the corner.



Minor gripe. Though Case Logic team deserves the recognition, but I wish the logo can be a little more low profile. It's not gigantic or hideous, but when I see the sunshine logo, I know who made the bag already. The way it is put now, it looks like a camera bag, which is not something I like to flaunt about (i.e., rob me!). I also wish the side pocket and the main compartment have a more joint look, so it looks more like a regular sling bag. As of now, the main compartment looks alarmingly like a camera holster.... A discreet, understated design is the best attention grabber.



Overall, it's a very well-designed bag for a small DSLR with two lenses. Importantly, it is in a compact design with good ergonomics and holds all the crucial items. I just wish Case Logic design team could add one more pocket for lens cleaning supply, or perhaps one pocket for iPod/cellphone on the shoulder strap. Case Logic team deserves the praise.



Pros:

- Holds many gears in a small package

- Good built material

- Holds weight but doesn't weigh down

- Well thought-out design perks

- Very accessible pockets

- Excellent value



Cons:

- Needs one more pocket for non-flat items

- Exterior design could be slightly more discreet

- No pocket for camera manual Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling (Black) - Sling - Camera Case - Photography - Digital Slr'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information