Thursday 3 March 2011

Battery Backup - clock radios, clock radio


What I like about this alarm clock: doesn't take up much room on my nightstand, the time is preset at the factory so all I had to do was set my time zone, the alarm doesn't jolt you awake - it starts out slow and quieter gradually getting faster and louder, you can choose how long you want your snooze to be, and it is so easy to figure out - I first saw this item at Target and was able to figure it out right there while displayed, quite a few of the others baffled me.



Other info: only one alarm time can be set Sony ICF-C218 Automatic Time Set Clock Radio (White)

I kept having a problem with my 10 year olds forgetting to set their alarms at night or forgetting to reset the clock after an electrical 'hiccup'. Anyway, I bought them each one of these clocks so they'd never have to fuss with the time again. Let me say that part works GREAT! However, they both like to fall asleep listening to music which they have on a very low volume. The 'sleep' feature allows them to set the timer to 90/60/30/0 minutes till shut-off. Since they fall asleep to a low volume music, they are not able to set the wake-up alarm to 'radio'. They'd never hear it. So we set it to 'buzzer'. The sound is not a buzzer. It's a very pleasant beeping which is not that loud at all. If you wake easily this should not be a problem. My two DON'T wake easily. I still find myself having to wake them up. My next move... a foghorn blown from the sofa where I sit drinking my morning joe and watching the news. :)

This clock is just perfect in our beach house. Actually, I have now bought 3 of these since they are white with our white furniture. They are small and they aren't so bright at night that it is bothersome. I would recommend these clocks. My daughter even wanted one to take off to college with her because of the size, radio and dim light at night.

After 1.5 years and lots of use, I can say that this radio is a terrific value for the money. It is well designed & attractive with a relatively small footprint. Has a pretty good instruction manual that is easy to follow. Glad I got it. Recommend highly.



I like the idea that you can fall asleep to the radio, have the alarm set on "buzzer", which is actually a gentle beep that gets louder and louder and more insistent till you turn it off. I find I cannot ignore this alarm clock. I couldn't imagine sleeping through it as you can hear it down the hall! (And like many people, who wants to get up from a deep snooze???-no choice with this one.) Never be late or hurried again!



The radio is actually fairly high quality with good sound and quite simple to tune to reception.



I guess an alternative to this effective alarm clock would be a sledge hammer poised to drop on you at the appropriate time. I think I'll take the beeping.................

This is just right for what it is....it works just fine, does what it is supposed to do. Sound is fine for casual back ground music and talk radio. Not a replacement for a Bose system or anything like that, but quiet acceptable at a very reasonable price.

The numbers are large and clear, which is great if you're myopic and trying to figure out what time it is in the middle of the night. The interface is relatively straightforward and has some nice features so you don't waste time noodling around with setting the alarm or tuning a station. The battery back up ROCKS- you don't have to reset it when the power fails. My one complaint is that it's a bit too bright: it glows more than I'd like. For the price, though, it's a good deal.

Sony ICF-C218 Automatic Time Set Clock Radio (White) We purchased this clock radio because of it's large time display. Works great. Exceptionally easy to set up. It arrived already programmed for the time. It required only a minor modification to conform to our time zone.

Display is unnecessarily bright and all the dots make verifying that the alarm is set a dubious process. The am radio does not come in very clearly, though not sure if that is a hardware issue. On the plus, it's small and compact and I like that it tells the date. Beep function of alarm is loud enough for me and gets progressively louder which I also appreciate.

I will try to be as specific as possible. Please keep in mind that I have MS and as such , sadly my right eye is 20/400 so legally blind in that eye. I needed a clock which had numbers I can actually see from a distance away.



==Time Illumination: The numbers are tall and glow very slightly green. I can see them from the dresser, which is about 5 feet away.

I can see them enough to be able to tell what time it is (although blurry due to my right eye) The numbers do not glow too brightly. In fact seem just enough. I can also see what time it is with the lights on.



==Radio: I really could care less about the radio but had a quick listen. The sound is OK and what I would expect for a radio of this size and price.



==Alarm : The alarm is a clear tone which gets faster as it goes off. To turn off the alarm one must use a very small dial which is a bit awkward when one is not awake yet. It would do better with a button but it seems that the dial thing is a setting for also having the radio on or whether the alarm is on. Still would prefer a button but whatever. It is easy enough to turn that little dial once I have some light on. The alarm setting also has options for using the radio to wake up. Something I won't use, as I prefer the tone. The tone is not too loud. Just enough to prod me into wakefulness.



==Setting the clock: Seems a bit complicated. One must look up their time zone and set that. It seems alright after that. I needed the directions for setting the alarm time as well. But once set seems fine. I've only had the clock for a few days so don't have a long or large history with it.



Overall: I have given this clock a 4 star. One star off for the awkward alarm dial thing that one must use to turn off the tones once you are awake. - Alarm Clock - Clock Radio - Clock Radios - Sony Alarm Clock Radio'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information