Friday 11 March 2011

6th Grade - 6th grade, workbook


This book is a great way to avoid your child feeling as though they have fallen behind or forgotten everything at the beginning of a new school year. My son has attention deficit disorder, and needed something over the summer to keep his skills and knowledge fresh. Other workbooks we have tried over summer breaks have been too overwhelming for him, but this seems to be a perfect fit. He is actually excited about working on this book over this summer. The only negative thing I would say is in comparison to "Summer Bridge" books for younger children, which to me are organized a little more logically. In those books, the child works through each page sequentially (Day 1 has a couple pages on each of the topics of math, spelling, etc.), while this book has you skip around a little more between each subject area. I really feel my son will be better equipped when the new school year starts, and not have so much catching up to do. Summer Bridge Activities: 6th to 7th Grade

I noticed that the Middle School versions of the Summer Bridge Activity books have been revised and are organized differently. I really like the way it is done now. It is organized like the Elementary Summer Bridge Activity books now. I really like the changes. The other versions were very difficult to keep track of my children's progress.

I first purchased the Summer Bridge series for 5th to 6th grade because my son was switching school districts and I was afraid he was going to be a little behind because the curriculum in the new district was more stringent. We used this book throughout the summer to keep his skills as well as to teach skills he hadn't learned yet. My son ended up with a 4.0 and was recommended for Advanced Placement Math in 7th grade. We used it again for 6th to 7th, and again another 4.0. But I knew it was a success when my son brought home a Language Arts paper at the end of 7th grade. At the beginning of the school year, his teacher had the class write down what they did over the summer. The teacher decided to keep the papers until the end of the year. My son wrote that he enjoyed doing the workbooks because he got rewards and he "didn't forget what he learned the year before" and "stayed ahead of his class" and "got on the honor roll". Imagine my surprise!! What a great book!!

My kids have used the "Summer Bridge" books for 4 years now. They love them because it's only a page a day and after 15 days they get to do something fun with either mom or dad or both!They work for 15 days at a time in the book and then there is a reward of their choosing, (of course, mom and/or dad should agree with the reward), by the end of summer they will have finished the workbook. I loved it because they could work independently and together we can sit down in the afternoon when it's hot and cuddle up with some good books to read. It gives you reading lists for the child's age group. It is a great way for them to stay up on what they learned over the school year and gives them a taste of what they will be learning this next school year. We will continue to get "Summer Bridge", it's wonderful!

My husband started my son with Summer Bridge in kindergarten. He is now going into 7th grade. He's always done very well in school (straight A's) and I think SB keeps his mind fresh. We started our daughter on SB last year. There are activities for all subjects and some use of the internet is needed for research for the older kids. SB also suggests age appropriate books for your child to read. The answers are posted in the back of the book to check your child's work...let's face it, we've been out of school for a while!

This seems like a pretty good book to use during the summer, just to keep my son thinking a little bit. I like that the book is not just math and basic grammar. There are social studies and science pages too. However, I still seem to feel like something is missing, if we don't work on math every day, so I skip around in the book and add on extra math using worksheets I am able to print from the internet. There is no perfect book, but this one seems to do a pretty good job.

I buy these books every summer for my 2 school age children. Great for review over the summer! My daughter actually really enjoys doing it! It keeps their schoolwork fresh in their minds over the summer & then review isn't such a chore in September!

This is a great workbook. I do recommend it to any Parent. My daughter really enjoyed it and it didn't take her more than 30 minutes a day. It covers all subjects and more! Summer Bridge Activities is definitely a great summer workbook! - Workbook - 6th Grade'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information