Wednesday 23 February 2011

Hair Clippers - haircut, clippers


I have now used the clippers a couple of times and can say that they are a great product. It was very sturdy in my hand and felt like a professional quality trimmer. There was no jamming or binding of the clippers - it glided through my hair with no problems (although I do have fairly thin hair, hence I cut it very short). I only used the trimmer and not any of the attachments - I cut my hair very short using the blade only and no length guide - so I can't comment on those. However, I must agree with other posters that the case could use some work - all of the pieces pretty much fly around loose in the case and there really isn't a good way to store everthing. Wahl should have designed the case differently, so that there would be a place to put each accessory (kind of like how a CD binder works). Again, this doesn't affect me much since I don't use the attachments. I highly recommend these clippers and would recommend to a friend in the market for doing their own trimming at home.



July 2008 Update: Still using these clippers every week to keep the close cropped look and they work great. Just brush them off and oil the blades with the included brush and oil after each use and put them back in the drawer. I'm able to get the whole head in about 5-10 minutes. I just clip in the shower stall before I shower, scoop up the cut hair and wash the rest down the drain. And the included mini-clipper is great for getting a very close cut on the back of the neck and sideburns. It isn't meant for much more than that, but does a great job - I use it about 1-2x a month and haven't had to change the battery yet (8 months later).

Wahl 79524-1001 Deluxe Chrome Pro with Multi-Cut Clipper & Trimmer, 27 Pieces



I began cutting my hair about a year ago and was using my old oster from costco that was maybe 5-7 years old. I had a lot of broken guards and the blades were starting to make a lot of noise. I did some research and found these to be a decent set for the price. It has so many guards and the clipper itself cuts really solidly. I like the extra trimmer to cut the sideburns. I cut my hair every 2 or 3 weeks now and have no worries that it isnt cutting evenly. If it does cut unevenly its my fault! Overall im very satisfied and would buy it again. Amazon was even cheaper than walmart for me when i check the prices. Go do some shopping.

I have been through three of the 'rechargeable' trimmer/clippers over the last few years. They work well in the beginning, but the power, which leaves you wanting to begin with, fades over time with cycling of the battery and eventually they die. As expensive as the good ones are ($40-$90), it is cost prohibitive to repair them, so they get chucked into the trash and a new one is purchased. I was tired of throwing my money away and for years I have admired the heavy duty looking trimmers I have always (and I mean forever) seen used by hair professionals. They look like they are indestructible. I also equated the quality with cost and assumed that as a tool of a trade they would demand a steep fee to acquire one.



Well whaddaya know? The Wahl is a very similar version and it is half the price of the rechargeables... it works better, smoother and with less effort.... comes with a veritable toolchest of attachments including some combs, a scissors and would you believe it even has a bib wrap to cover the shoulders of a client! Heavy? yup... and it feels like it will last forever. Vibration? Absolutely, just like the ones my barber uses.



Want something that will do the job... every time? This item is a winner!

(This first paragraph was added on 12-30-2008) As an opening note - the clippers are actually made right here in the USA and not China. Sure there are a few Chinese parts in the kit but by and large it's American! I could change the title to, "Great Wahl of Sterling, Illinois" but that doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue - y'know? Now on to the original review in its entirety and totally commercial free:



For the past several months I have been contemplating taking matters into my own hands and just shaving my noggin at home and saving a trip to the barber/salon/blood letter. After consulting with friends and colleagues and with my own experience with the brand I settled on a Wahl trimmer. Once my decision was made I guided myself to Amazon to start the search. After looking at the different kits and options I settled on the Deluxe Chrome kit with 27 pieces. I don't know about you but when I see the words 'Deluxe' and 'Chrome' in the same sentence you have my undivided attention.



I ordered-up the kit and thanks to some technical wizardry and a dash of PRIME the clippers arrived in 2-days. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened up the box to find a nice black zippered case complete with the clippers, the smaller clippers (for neckline, sideburns, etc.), a plethora of guards ranging from the cue-ball to 1" in length, over-the-ear trimmer guides (left and right), an eyebrow guide as well as combs, scissors, a hand-held mirror, a drape and clip, clipper blade oil and a brush for keeping the unit clean and in tip-top shape.



So I decided on an appropriate guard and clipped it onto the clippers. There is a good snug fit which is met with an audible 'click' assuring you that the clipper guard is properly set. I then stretched out the amply long cord (maybe 6 feet long??) and plugged in the clippers. I clicked on the unit fully expecting something quite loud. Happily I was wrong. These clippers are extremely quiet and very stable and steady in your hands.



Now the real fun. I started buzzing into my hair like a crazed minnow farmer (?) watching my trimmed locks falling into the tub.



NOTE: I did this while seated in our large garden tub... there was NO WATER in the tub but I thought this would be a good place for a haircut as the clean-up would be a snap.



So I worked the clippers through my hair going from back to front; front to back; then side to side until the desired effect was achieved. My Bride and our two angelic cherubs soon made an appearance to see just what Daddy was doing. Happily my wife totally approved of the look, the cut and the cleanliness of the finished product. My Bride took the smaller clippers, plopped-in an AA battery and did a bang-up job cleaning up my neck area as well as around my ears.



Clean-up was a snap. I just took off the guard, used the included brush and cleaned off all of the trimmer heads. After cleaning-up I packed everything away in the black case and was readying myself to hop out of the tub. My Bride had brought in our Dyson (sidebar: if you've never used a Dyson vacuum you are missing out on one of the finer pleasures on earth) which made quick work of sucking up my hair out of the tub. Our girls enjoyed watching Daddy's hair swirling in the clear Dyson canister. They are easily amused.



Bottom line - the Wahl trimmer/clipper is a great tool, quiet and efficient and priced better than I could find locally.



Oh - and by the time I cut my hair with this twice - it's paid for!



(Edited on 12-30-2008 to add:) I have owned these clippers for approximately 388 days (or for you stats geeks out there):



* 33,523,200 seconds

* 558,720 minutes

* 9312 hours

* 55 weeks (rounded down)



and it's been nothing but a great experience. If I were to hazard a guess I have used them 9 or 10 times so they are WELL paid for. The unit operates as it did fresh out of the box, the cut is still great and nothing has been pitched aside or thrown away... except for my cut off hair, of course. I've not used all of the guards but have settled on a few 'go to guards' that made the cut with me (pun).



All in all I still stand by my original assessment of the clippers and would buy them again knowing what I now know. Great item. Great investment. Great ROI (Return On Investment). - Haircut - Wahl - Hair Clipper - Clippers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information