Monday 17 January 2011

Xoom Keyboard


I got this keyboard the day after I got my Xoom. I wasn't sure how useful it would be, but I do a lot of email so I decided to give it a try. Right after I got the bluetooth configured, I realized it was certainly worth the money. The keyboard has special Android specific keys such as all of the "hard keys" (back, home, menu, and search) that are on an Android phone as well as others that make it so you can use the keyboard to do a lot of your navigating, not just typing. The keyboard is well made and the keys are sturdy. If you are going to use your Xoom for work, this is an accessory you will want. Motorola Wireless Keyboard for Motorola ATRIX and XOOM (Motorola Retail Packaging)

Its a great keyboard haven't used it on the xoom yet but i have used it on driod x from Motorola it works great for typing but the keyboard shortcuts don't work with the droid x i will write another review for this product when i get the xoom.

I pre-ordered a Xoom and picked it up on launch day, and since the store I got it from didn't have a keyboard, I headed to the nearest Verizon Wireless store and luckily they did have one. In my opinion, anyone that does a lot of typing really needs one of these. It's small enough to take with you most everywhere, connects very easily, and has numerous shortcut keys that work with the Xoom operating system for items like opening email, browser, adjusting volume, etc...



I bought a Incase Nylon Sleeve for 13" MacBook and it works great for my Xoom. Incase Nylon Sleeve for 13" MacBook It holds my Xoom in the large pocket and has enough room to spare for some file folders and files. the back velcro pocket holds the keyboard perfectly, and the front pockets work great for holding some screen cleaner and micro fiber cloths in one pocket and misc. cables in the other. This makes carrying my xoom and keyboard around very easy, and is a major compliment to my xoom.



Overall it is a bit on the pricey side, but if you need to type, it's so much faster and more comfortable on a keyboard than on the screen. I use the Xoom portfolio case Motorola Protective Portfolio Case for MOTOROLA XOOM (Motorola Retail Packaging)and it holds the xoom at a perfect angle, and the battery bump on the back of the keyboard fits over the flap of the case to create a little netbook look, very convenient!



I also was curious and paired this with my Droid X and it worked great as well!

I bought this keyboard for my Xoom. I purchased it a week prior to see if it would work on my ideapad s10-3t, ipod touch, and HTC-Incredible. And it worked great, here and there the signal gets lost and needs a minute to reconnect if you stop typing for more than 30 seconds but that is just a small annoyance. Otherwise it works great responsive light nice layout. Now you may be wondering if the shortcut keys work on windows and it does. The back arrow is escape the android menu button is the windows menu button and a few android keys don't work on windows but most do just a small learning curve. As for the ipod touch a few worked but it was meant for android. My final thoughts this is a great but pricey keyboard if you have the galaxy tab, xoom, or android smart phone this is a worthy purchase and the fact it is compatible with windows and apple products just boost its value. The only reason I gave it a 4 was that 30 second disconnect issue.

I don't usually like the chicklet type of keys on my keyboards, but I have to make an exception for this one. The keys are very well placed and are easy to use for touch typing. I love how this keyboard has all of the functionality keys that go into making this the perfect keyboard for the Xoom tablet. It's very thin and although I suppose you could take this with you, I prefer leaving it at my desk for when I'm home and have the Xoom docked into the HD Audio dock I also use.

Well. It is frustrating because I want this keyboard to work, and it does not.



The problem is the keys "stick" (as previously noted in another review. I have tried using compressed air thinking that there might be dust or something under the keys, but this did not help. It was a long shot anyway since it has had this problem since the first time I used the keyboard.



I gave it a three because the concept is great and when it works, it's great. But... that rarely happens.

So, I've had this keyboard for my Xoom for about a month now. And it's really not working out well. Why?



The keys stick. Or at least, the keypress registers as being stuck, and then, you have to disconnect it from Xoom and reconnect. I just wrote a 2 page document and this happend 4 times. It happens every single time I use it. Be it the ., or a space bar press, or just a letter, it registers as being stuck down when in fact it is not.



I actually like the feel of the board itself and I can type very fast on it. But it's failing and failing fast. Not happy about that. I even invested in a nice cover for it through sfbags.com because I wanted to protect it. Now, I'll be looking for another alternative.



Disgusted by the whole experience.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Xoom Keyboard Xoom Keyboard Xoom Keyboard