Monday 17 January 2011

Dslr Camera Case


I had originally bought the Case Logic SLR-1Z Zoom Holster to accommodate my D70 with attached Tamron 28-300 lens, however I found that case had too small of an opening for my camera. So I got the SLRC-201 Zoom and it is much better, the differences between the two cases are:



SLRC-201

1) Larger opening, camera slips in and out with ease.

2) Main compartment zipper is easier to operate.

3) Hammock suspension system is a better design.

4) Base is sturdier and made of better material.

5) Strap is a little longer.



SLR-1Z

1) Strap pad is thicker.

2) Extra pocket on inside flap cover.

3) Although the main zipper is difficult to open, it seems to be more water proof.

4) Has option for belt attachment.



Both of these cases are very well made and great for cameras with attached lenses, if you have a smaller SLR then the 1Z will work for you, however the 201 is much better for a larger SLR camera, hope this helps with your decision. Case Logic SLRC-201 SLR Zoom Holster (Black)

I purchased this holster case for a Canon EOS 7D (with the 18-135mm IS 3.5-5.6 lens) when I purchased it. The bag is just the right size for the camera, I have enough space above it to tuck the strap in and zip it up for carrying it around. The pockets on the sides are slightly cramped, but provide ample space for a remote shutter release, lens cloth, miniature tripod, and lens caps. Thus I feel prepared whenever I am shooting.

Now, the caveats to this case:

The 7D is a larger SLR (not the size of the D3 or the 1D, but still hefty) and when you are using the suspension strap, it holds the camera body very close to the top, thus I undid the velcro holding the suspension strap in place, and used a twist tie to keep it from getting tangled up in things.

The strap works well, but is a little thin, and the padded portion tends to slip and slide around, while you can put on a different strap with ease, this is annoying on a case that is meant to hold relatively hefty cameras.

That being said, the case protects the camera extremely well. I have gone skiing with this bag at my side, and had no worries for the camera while on the mountain. If you have anything larger than a 7D, I would suggest you look elsewhere for a case, though if you have any of the smaller nikons or canons, this will do just fine. Overall, I really like it, It's a good size and feels like it keeps my camera well protected.

This is a great case - very nicely designed, well built, looks great, very functional. It is my third Caselogic digital SLR case, purchased because I wanted a holster case for my Nikon D50 with a new, longer 50-200mm zoom lens. I searched around a bit and tried other cases at stores like Best Buy, Ritz photo, and Calumet. This case works great, and has improved several features over my earlier cases (which have worked great for me.) The handle is nicely padded, the "hammock" has a nice Y-shaped cutout extending from the circular lens opening making it very easy to insert and remove my camera without snagging, even with the hood attached in the reverse position. The solid, waterproof base is a nice addition, and allows the case to stand up solidly when placed on a flat surface. Very well made, very well padded, classy and sporty looking at the same time. A great purchase, and also a very good value compare to what else is available.

Usually I carry my cameras around in a cheap insulated soft-side lunchbox - the kind you can get anywhere for less than $10. (They work OK, and they don't look worth stealing which is nice.) Having bought a new DSLR (Nikon D5000) I decided to see if I could find a real camera bag that wasn't too pricey, protected the camera better, had good access and was suitable for moderate exposure to the elements. This one comes very close to all of those requirements.



Pros: Holds the camera securely without requiring excessive handling to retrieve it for use. Has dual zippers so you don't have to remember which side the zipper is on. Has three handy compartments for accessories. The shape fits nicely into niches a rectangular bag would not. The base has a waterproof "shoe" so you can set it down in almost an inch of water without leaking. (Very nice, that last bit. I was traveling in snow and ice in December and sometimes you just have to set it down - if there was snow I just stamped it flat and set the bag down.) Fit and finish seem excellent: at no time have I felt any insecurity about tugging on any of its zippers, flaps or straps.



Cons: The three flap opening in the "hammock" is a bit tight especially if you have a lens shade on your lens. (You can stretch it some, and it will loosen over time anyway.) Depending on your camera it's a bit tricky finding a grip to easily extract the camera from the compartment without accidentally turning a switch or setting dial. (You can upend the bag and the camera will drop out a bit for easier grabbing; an extra half-inch width might have been nice though.) If you have a full sized DSLR this may be more of an issue, if you have smaller hands than I, probably not. Finally, the compartments are fine for a few extra filters, battery, and memory cards, etc., but might be too small for your charger if it's larger than average. (Nikon supplies a charger with a full-length AC cord which makes it a tight fit in this bag.)



Other: No room for a 2nd lens, but that's not the point of this bag. You also don't want to put a long lens on your camera and try to shove it into this bag either. Most reasonable prime and kit lenses should fit just fine, though. (The 18-105 mm Nikon lens, for example, has plenty of room.) Any lens that's about 4.25" or less from lens cap to camera body should be very happy, and the bottom of the case is well padded if it happens to touch that.) The "hammock" can also be unhitched (it's held on one end by Velcro) which makes grabbing the camera out faster, but sacrifices some security. Nice to have the choice, though.



P.S. I repurposed a lunch bag with some cut foam to hold my extra lens, battery charger and other bits for now, but I'm looking at getting this bag's big brother - the one with lens-suitable side pockets - not as a replacement, but as a supplement for when I need a more inclusive kit to carry around.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information