Wednesday 26 January 2011

Power Supply - uninterrupted power supplies, cyberpower


I've had my Cyberpower 1350 for almost a year now and it has worked well switching to backup power dozens of times. I have a large desktop with two raptor HD's and two standard HD's, an IBM 19" CRT monitor, a Viewsonic 22" LCD monitor, a Canon 9000Pro printer, canon 8400F scanner and several other small periferals that have never blinked an eye during power outages. My only concern is that when the UPS is powering the system you can smell a slight 'electronic' odor from the unit as the internal fan always kicks on high while in backup mode. I doubt it is a problem as it continues to work over and over. I love the display. I use a little under 300 watts continuous and I figure it is much better to have a UPS too big so that it won't have a hard time powering the system and of course it will last longer in case you really need to get something finished. I had an older cyberpower unit for nearly six years before the batteries died, and it also did a great job, so considering my computer is on 10 to 16 hours a day I think Cyberpower deserved my repeat business. CyberPower CP1350AVRLCD Intelligent LCD Green UPS - 1350VA/810W AVR 8-Outlet RJ11/45/Coax

I've owned one of these for over a month now. I use it with my computer, and overall, I've been very satisfied with it. It has already proven itself, as we've lost power a few times already, and this kept my computer running without a problem. I can't think of any bad things to say about it.



Pros:

- This UPS handles up to 810 watts, which is more than enough for the average computer.

- It's thin, allowing it to fit in cramped spaces. I have it sitting right next to my computer tower.

- The USB connection gives computers the ability to automatically shut down when AC power fails.

- The software works with 64-bit versions of Windows (I'm using Windows XP x64). Windows XP recognizes this UPS as a battery, as if I were using a laptop.

- The LCD display is handy - It shows statistics such as power load and battery life. This is a nice feature if you don't plan on using the UPS with a computer.



Other Thoughts:

I have my computer tower, monitor, speakers, and my modem & router plugged into this UPS, and they all keep on running when power goes out. With everything turned on, the software says I'm only drawing 186-194 watts. When I'm playing a game on my computer, the power consumption can sometimes jump up to 210 watts - still fairly low. My computer has a 350-watt power supply.

I bought two of these, one for my home computer/network, and one for my home theater system. I'm not using the software for either. I especially like the dosplay on the front. Recently during hurricane Ike, I used them to power a small TV for hours. Seem to hold plenty of juice.

I picked this up as a replacement for an old Eaton PowerWare 5115 750VA that was terribly annoying when on battery. ESPECIALLY when hooked to generator power (More on this in a minute). Plus, I power my whole office(I'm talking EVERYTHING, TV, fish tank, printer, computer, Directv DVR, etc) via UPS(es) and this one was starting to show it's lack of available wattage, so off I went looking for a replacement.



I bought both this unit and the APC Back-UPS XS 1500 LCD (which I have also reviewed), with the intention of keeping the best one and returning the one that's lacking. Needless to say, I now have 3 UPS(es). The old Eaton, the new Cyberware and the new APC. I couldn't decide between the Cyberpower and APC, so I kept both.



Now, which one is powering the Computer/HT/Office setup is a different story. Long story short, the APC powers my desk(computer, 32" LCD, router, cable modem, 3 ext. hard drives, bluray player, DirecTV dvr, HP OJ 8500 Pro). The Cyberpower powers my fish tank setup(filter, heater and florescent light), and 2 low-watt lights. And the old Eaton powers 2 more low watt lights, and a bunch of other misc stuff(electric candle air freshener, Makita battery charger, etc).



My reasons for making the APC the "king of my desk", in lieu of the Cyberpower, might be pretty petty to some, but they make a difference to me.



----First a foremost is the APC's ability to manually adjust it's sensitivity to line noise, as well as it's switchover-to-battery threshold. This is important to me, as I have a 3500 watt backup generator that while it's actually pretty stable for a non-inverter type, it still has a tendency to fluctuate, causing the Cyberpower to "click" every couple of minutes. This is not only annoying, but it could end up depleting its battery, causing power cycling to the connected equipment and causing possible damage. The APC just hums along without a care in the world. And this is even on "medium" sensitivity.



On the same topic, I realize that some UPS's take issue with the modified sign waves "inverter generators" produce, but I am happy to report both UPSes work 100% fine with my smaller, 1000 watt inverter generator without any battery switchover, as well.



----And second, I know some are going to chuckle when I say this as it's petty, but I want the LCD to stay on all the time. The APC lets you set this, the Cyberpower doesnt. Again, this is just personal preference.



Other than the two negatives above, this is a great UPS! I had a 230-250 watt load on it and it was telling me I had 18 minutes of runtime, which is MORE than enough to go out and start the genny. With just the fish tank, lights and charger on it, I now have 87 minutes of runtime showing on the LCD. Which, I might note, I had to get up, go across the room and hit the button to see. I also compared the wattage on the LCD with an actual watt meter and it's showing a 9 watt difference. I'm sure this is due to the UPS overhead itself, as it takes a bit of power to run the LCD and monitor/correct line voltage. Also worth noting, is the Power Panel software. This is a simple piece of software that just works. And works great. No hassles, no cryptic messages, everything laid out in plain English. You can even schedule times you want to power down/power up your equipment in an attempt to be more "green", which the APC PowerChute software does not.



All in all, unless you have a generator, or prefer a full-time LCD display, I highly recommend this unit. - Computer Power Backup - Cyberpower - Ups - Uninterrupted Power Supplies'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information