Wednesday 26 January 2011

Deck Screws


I used the Kreg deck jig to build a custom 2-story deck with composite deck boards. One bit has lasted three boxes so far and still going strong. I need another four boxes to re-deck my front porch and won't hesitate to use the screws or the Kreg Jig. I would definitely recommend for a clean look. My only suggestion is you have a separate drill/driver for the drill bit and driver bit to speed up the process. KREG SDK-C2W-700 2-Inch, #8 Coarse, Deck Screw, 700 Ct

I bought these to go with the Deck Jig but sent everything back. I've been building custom homes for 30 years and I think the Jig is a great idea, but the execution in my case didn't work out. I was going to use it to install 1x6 Ipe decking (600sf)but when I tried the jig, it would occasionally leave partial half circle holes on the top edge of the board where the bit was drilling for the angled hole. I ended up face screwing and plugging the deck. Looks nice, but a lot of work.

Used these on fresh (Still wet) treated decking lumber for a new deck I'm building. I had zero heads strip out. The bit that comes with the screws to my surprise lasted through all 700 screws. My only complaint was the length of the bit (its like 6 Inches long). Buying a second box now. Oh! and there 10 dollars less then Home Depot and Lowes.

The real review I suppose is for the whole Deck Jig system. Very nice look with the tan colored screw and our southern pine decking. There is usually a little bit of residual wood left around the hole after pre-drilling the hole, but it can be brushed away or sanded and the finished decking as a whole looks very sharp. A bit time consuming, but no longer than making a mortise and installing another type of hidden fastener I don't think.



Overall, I would recommended it.



We finished a 15X16 upper deck, and 12X12 lower deck with two 700 count boxes of screws and just have a few to spare, so that might give you an idea of how much it can cover. We used 5/4" X 5 1/2" decking with 1/4" gap.

Screws are fine. Work well. A bit small on the head size. Bit supplied is way too long. Three boxes were sent to me in a very large box with plastic air pockets for padding. All three containers of screws were broke open, screws loose in box, one of the driver bits missing and who knows how many screws fell through the hole in corner of box along the shipping route. Shipper could have put a bit of tape on the lid to hold it in place during shipping. Little handles on square containers were even broke off and loose.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Deck Screws Deck Screws Deck Screws