Thursday 30 December 2010

Safety Whistle - backpacking, safety whistle


... really, what could you expect of a cheap piece of made-in-China plastic? I got two of these for a set of stick-in-the-car emergency kits, and while one seemed fine, the compass on the other didn't know what was up, down east or west. A 50 percent failure rate is not particularly reassuring if I'm planning on using this thing to get out of a messy situation. It is very, very orange, though, so it'll be quite easy for the search crew to find my remains after I get thoroughly lost trying to use this thing to navigate to safety. 5 in 1 Survival Whistle, Emergency Zone® Brand

Where do I begin? Emergency equipment should not be a liability. This device is just that. A liability. When you need it, you will find it will not function as intended. I had purchased three of these devices for 'gift' emergency kits I made. In testing the gear, I discovered on each device the same identical problems:



The whistle - barely works

The flint - is worthless, doesn't function at all.

The compass - has a bubble and consistently reads completely wrong

The waterproof case - isn't very waterproof



The only thing that works on this device:

It's orange. That means it's bright and can be noticed easily

The lanyard - because seriously, how do you screw up a nylon rope? Apparently even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.



If you're willing to look at this device as a gimmick or novelty, then by all means it's worth the low price. But if you are relying on it for safety or emergency gear, you're going to be sorely disappointed should said emergency ever occur.

Don't forget about the lanyard cord! It could be used for many things like shelter building, securing a bandage or mending clothing. I know it's not much but it's still there. The compass is luminescent and works well. The flint is small but it does work if you know how to use it. The whistle is loud and hurts my ears. I stuff it with water proof matches, fire starter and striker. I submerged it for a few minutes and then lit a match - no problems with leaks. I got it at Walmart on clearance for a buck.

I like it! It came as it, the fire starter thingy (forgot what it was called) broke off but it was useless anyways. But the compass is awsome and i was able to put my tiny flashlight in the water proof container. THis product is really cute and fun for adventures. RECommend

Fast shipping too! 5 stars!

Sure, there are better emergency whistles, better waterproof match holders, MUCH better compasses, and better flints. But if you actually have this little inexpensive item with you, you'll be a whole lot better prepared than without it. I keep one of these in each of my kayaks, looped inside the skirting. Doesn't seem likely that I'll need it, but that's the whole point. Cheap enough to be prepared for the stuff you're confident you won't need to deal with.

This probably sounds silly, but we have friends that have a 3 and a 5 year old. We bought these for them to teach them the basics about wilderness survival. These are inexpensive, work as described, are fascinating to kids and were the centerpiece for some real fun (OUTSIDE).

Picked up this handy little item for the "bug out" pack and I must say that I'm impressed. The compass works very well - just hold it out in front of you and it will show proper direction (I tested it repeatedly while standing in front of my house). The container will hold about one dozen wooden matches (I also put a strike strip in there just to be safe) and the whistle can come in handy if you are lost. Overall, I highly recommend it!

Got this for my son in boy scouts. a nice whistle, with a decent compass, and will store cotton soaked with a little naphtha or charcoal lighter fluid in it, but the "flint" is easily worn down fast. But it can't be beat for a great 1 time use device! - Backpacking - Outdoor Gear - Emergency Kit - Safety Whistle'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Safety Whistle - backpacking, safety whistle backpacking Safety Whistle - backpacking, safety whistle