Saturday 4 December 2010

Memory Cards - sdhc card, sandisk


Regarding complaints about performance with HD camcorders:



SDHC cards are rated in MegaBytes per second (MB/sec). HD camcorders are rated in Megabits per second (Mb/sec). There are 8 bits per Byte.



Therefore, an HD camcorder with 24Mb/sec video capture requires (24Mb/sec) / (8Mb/MB) = 3MB/sec SDHC card. A Class 4 SDHC card with at least 4MB/sec data transfer is more than enough to capture full HD. Those camcorders are not designed to work with Class 6 and Class 10 cards.



Remember that Full HD, 1920 x 1080 pixels = 2,073,600 pixels, or 2 Megapixels. Digital SLRs shoot at 12 Megapixels with minimal lag time between shots requiring much higher data transfer rates than HD camcorders.



Consequently, people who use Extreme Class 10 SDHC cards with high speed digital SLRs seem happy, but people using them with HD camcorders are not. It can be confusing, but you must use the appropriate card for your application. Faster is not always better. SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s SDHC Flash Memory Card - 16 GB

I put this baby to the test on a Nikon D90 in burst mode. The amazing performance of this memory card allowed the camera to keep using its buffer taking pictures at 4 frames per second for a period of at least 30 seconds (excellent lighting conditions). Hear the machine gun in your ear as you take your pictures at a sports event or at SeaWorld while dolphins jump out of the water and get a shot worth being published on Sports Illustrated. Wow!



With its huge capacity, you will probably never need to carry another stick in your camera bag. I set the resolution at the highest level on the D90 and the indicator showed I could store 2,100 pictures in this memory card. Awesome!



Very good purchase, the price is high, true but the name says it all about its performance: "EXTREME".

A fast camera needs a fast memory chip.



Highly recommended for taking multiple shots. Pay attention to the memory class.



I use a Nikon D90 at my grandchildrens's soccer games. The camera is set to high repeat, so when the ball lands near my grandchild, I push and hold the shutter button for about ten shots. I usually get two shots that show the ball and my subject with nobody in front. The class 4 chip (class indicates speed) I was using would pause the shooting because the camera's temporary memory was full. With this class 10 memory chip, the shooting is uninterrupted. The memory seems to operate at camera speed.

I purchased this disk along with a Canon EOS Rebel T2i Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only) about two weeks ago. I was very happy with the performance of the camera. I shot a swim meet and some other sports activities and got some great shots, especially on continuous burst. The next day I inadvertently left the Class 10 card at home, and had to substitute a Class 6 card.



The difference in the performance of the camera was remarkable. The camera took longer to start up, the speed of taking photos on continuous burst was much slower, and after about 10 frames the camera slowed to a crawl. As a result, I ordered another Sandisk Extreme Class 10 card as a backup.

Quick card. 1080 video shoots without interruption and 3 jpg/second (18 megapixel) continuous shooting (Canon Rebel T2i). Works as expected. Shooting 1080 video, sorta wished the card was higher capacity. 3 minutes fills a gig of space. So, (Canon Rebel T2i) about 4 12-minute clips.

With a Nikon D90 I took this card for a test drive. I normally shoot with RAW+JPEG (Fine) and with all that data, the performance of this card vs. a Class 6 is indistinguishable with the exception of the saving "tail" which is notably shorter. However, when I drop down to just RAW, I can get a lot more photos in before the buffer is too full vs. the Class 6.



The real fun is when you drop down to JPEG (Fine, Large) only. With that mode, and this card, I can shoot continuously at full speed, never buffering. And that is why you would buy this card. Going for that great action shot without worrying about your buffer blocking the best shot.



Definitely a good card.

I use this with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 in avchd lite SH at 17Mbps and it work's flawlessly, make sure you are not trying to play it back over usb, because usb can't keep up and you have the left side of the video washed out. As for the transfer from the camera to the computer, you might be better off popping it into a reader, but I have no problem transferring from the camera over usb.

I am a semi-professional photographer that recently purchased the Pentax K-7 as an upgrade to my other camera but primarily for a camera that could do HD video with an external microphone input. The first couple memory cards I purchased were Class 6.... which were supposed to be fast enough. Unfortunately they would only record HD video for 59secs!! I thought something was wrong with the camera but found an obscure speed test out there and geeky review by some dudes that determined that if you want the most out of the HD video on your DSLR camera.....get the CLASS 10!

The item pictured and named is NOT the product I received. It is neither the item pictured, nor the item listed in my amazon order history. The item I thought I was purchasing was SanDisk 16GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 High Performance memory card.



However I received a "SanDisk Flash 16 GB SDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDXP1-016G Black". You can search for that product in the amazon search window. The card is simiiar, but with a few key differences. The main difference is that it's not class 10, its SDHC UHC-I. It's not rated at 30MB/s, it's rated at 45MB/s.



So what's the big deal? Obviously, it's rated higher. Well, SDHC UHC-I might not be compatible with some cameras or devices that you or I have. Furthermore, the product I received is cheaper from the other retailers. Had I known what I was receiving, I could/would have bought it from someone else.



Here are the speed tests for the card I received, the first is with this laptop with a usb card reader, the second is from this laptop with the internal factory card reader, and the third is with a different desktop pc with the internal card reader (I tested 2GB with all readers):



USB card reader:

Warning: Only 2000 of 15185 MByte tested.

Test finished without errors.

You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.

Writing speed: 15.2 MByte/s

Reading speed: 16.9 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4



Laptop Factory Card: Reader

Warning: Only 2000 of 15185 MByte tested.

Test finished without errors.

You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.

Writing speed: 16.9 MByte/s

Reading speed: 18.8 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4



Desktop factory Card Reader:

Warning: Only 2000 of 15185 MByte tested.

Test finished without errors.

You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.

Writing speed: 17.6 MByte/s

Reading speed: 19.5 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4



So, it's not nearly as fast as it says (45MB/s). And most if not all cards are not as fast as they say. Just be informed before you purchase. - Sandisk - Sdhc Card - Class 10 - 16gb Sdhc'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Memory Cards - sdhc card, sandisk 16gb sdhc Memory Cards - sdhc card, sandisk