Saturday 4 December 2010

Lantern Accessories - coleman lantern, lantern accessories


I emailed Coleman directly to ask what hard carry case model would suit my NorthStar (2000) Dual Fuel unleaded lantern. They replied saying that they have never made a hard case for the Northstar and had no plans too.



I was puzzled because I had previously seen a non English speaking youtube video where someone was demonstrating the lantern and they had it stored in a red hard case.



From the shape of case in the video clip I deduced that it was the same case that suited the coleman 295 model lantern i.e coleman hard carry case model 290-763T.



I am in the UK and it seem colemans EU are no longer importing hard cases into Europe for what ever reason and all the stockist here have 'out of stock' on their adverts. So I ordered the case from amazon.com USA as per the product advert for this review. 3 days later I had the item delivered to my door from the States, quite impressive.



The case was black in colour not the red I was expecting but black suits me fine. My NorthStar lantern does indeed fit with one minor adjustment needed to make it do so. All that needs doing is shifting up by less than half inch (10mm in fact) the rubber support foot that is fitted around the lanterns fuel tank. This allows the lantern to sit snug into the carry case base. After that every thing is sweet.



This is good value for money lantern case for 25 UKP in total that includes shipping from USA and import duty. It is fit for the purpose of safely storing my new lantern and protecting it when it's living in the back of my 4x4. Coleman Liquid-Fuel Lantern Hard-Shell Carry Case

I bought the Coleman lantern case for an older Coleman gas lantern in order to protect it in storage and while traveling. I had been using a thin storage compartment for years that clamped on the bottom of the lantern in which I carried spare mantles and a spare generator. The vertical height of the case was too tight for the lantern and I had to remove this compartment. The lantern still wouldn't fit. It was necessary to tighten the knob which secured the top of the lantern to the point where it was ready to deform the metal lantern top. Then the lantern fit into the case and all is well. If the space in your car trunk is really limited, you will find that the lantern in its case does take up more space, but the lantern will certainly be safer.

The case fits exceptionally well. No complaints.



After camping for 2 weeks in Yellowstone, I decided it was time to stop using the original box the lantern came in 15 years ago and buy the hard shell case. Another reviewer indicated the case did not fit his lantern well. There are several different Coleman lanterns. Before you purchase, verify that the case was designed for your specific lantern.

If you have a liquid fuel lantern then you know how easy it can be to damage in transit.

This case is exactly what is needed. It securely and safely encases the lantern when not in use and unlike the soft cases available it is reasuringly tough to touch. Five star.

I have a Coleman 220C lantern inherited from my Grandfather. It's in perfect condition and I wanted to keep it that way. This case will not fit a 220C without significant modification.



I spent some time measuring where the case had to be trimmed, but also wanted to be mindful of not storing it in a unsecured fashion. First I tried drilling out the top to better accomodate the thumb nut at the top of the lantern. This gave me a fraction of an inch. When all was said and done, I had to use a large hole saw on an extension bit and dremel cutter to make space for the whole top dome vent area of the lantern (probably a 4" diameter hole). The lantern domed top now protrudes into the handle area of the case, but the lantern is secure and the glass protected.



This modification will require a stiff box cutter or large hole saw on an extension.



The case allows some space for a reflector, extra mantles, and the fill funnel.



If anyone has a 220C, be advised you'll have to modify the case to fit and it won't be weather proof when you're done.



One more thing. The case is black.

The older Coleman products are of such superior quality that many of them are still around, including my 220 series lantern from the 1960's. It's seen decades of fun camping adventures, but after 40+ years in the original box which had been reinforced with all kinds of tapes, I broke down and bought this. I really didn't think I'd even find a custom case for it since it's so old. It's a perfect fit - the screw on the lid even fits in the little tip on the case. There's a recessed area in the bottom that allows for a spare set of mantles and matches.



I'd just caution to really make sure that you've snapped the bottom on tightly before picking it up. There have been a couple of times that I thought it was well-snapped, but it wasn't. Thankfully I was lifting it slowly and I observed it in time, but if I had picked it up quickly the entire reason for having it would have been a moot point. Another nice feature is that if your car is pretty tightly packed you don't have to worry about it being leaned up against other hard objects jostling against it.

Great lantern case for the Coleman lantern. Make sure you get the correct size for you lantern model. I didn't double check and got the wrong size so it took some fabrication on my part to make it work. I also got a black case not the red one I wanted...thanks for the misrepresentation, Amazon.



5/5 stars cause the case is awesome

1/5 stars cause amazon sent me the wrong color.

This product was used with the Coleman Two-Mantle Dual Fuel Powerhouse Lantern



The hard shell case color came in Black



Let lantern cool, snap the fuel tank onto the base(very snug fit). Then hold the funnel in between the glass globe and the fuel tank(the skinniest part) with one finger while lowering the top part down to the base sliding the cover between your finger and the funnel. Press firmly down (might need to jiggle it a bit) and the clips that are supposed to snap don't snap automatically for me, so just give them a firm press with a finger and visually inspect to make sure it is locked over the little plastic retainer nub. Should inspect even if it snaps for you because of the obvious consequences while in transit.



I have read reviews where the base sucks and falls off, so the fix is to wrap a cord or bungee under the handle and around the base in a loop. I would have to say with certainty this is not the case with this product (brand new condition.) It locks well however, I'm going to do this fix anyway in the future because I could see the product deteriorating with HEAVY, and clumsy use. Not that I intend on abusing it but someone else may...



I would recommend this product just for storing alone. Well worth the money, saving countless globes and less headaches over the decades of outdoor light your Coleman can provide you.



No issues so far, will update if any come to light. :) - Lantern Accessories - Coleman Lantern'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Lantern Accessories - coleman lantern, lantern accessories lantern accessories Lantern Accessories - coleman lantern, lantern accessories