Saturday 4 December 2010

Canon G10 - g10, camera accessories


First, I hate proprietary batteries and expensive ones in particular. However, this battery is different. Yes, it's expensive. But it lasts a long time without recharging. I always shoot with the screen on so I am using it to its full potential. I've never run the battery down--I've shot 500-600 photos a day and it's never run down.



I probably shouldn't have even bought an extra battery, but I now rotate batteries and I always have a safety net if needed. I purchased it because I was going on vacation and wanted to make sure I would only need to charge once/day. I take lots of photos and did not want to be without a battery.



If you need an extra one (be sure you do), this is worth the price. Canon NB-7L Lithium-Ion Battery Pack for Canon G10 & G11 Digital Cameras (Retail Package)

A real Canon NB-7L is expensive but performs well and includes built in safety features to protect your investment in the G10 as well as your own safety. In my opinion that's worth five stars. Less expensive third party branded batteries may provide the same or similar performance and safety.



The concern is that when you buy a Canon branded battery from auction sites or marketplaces with unbelievably low prices, even if they are described as used, you may put your camera at risk. I purchased one such questionable battery and even comparing it side by side with the genuine Canon battery that came with my camera, cosmetic differences were very difficult to find.



I determined it to be what I believe is a fake by weighing it and comparing the weight with known good batteries. The genuine Canon battery that came with my camera weighs 48.3 grams, a second genuine Canon battery purchased from well respected professional photo dealer in original Canon tamperproof packaging weighs 48.2 grams. The bargain Canon battery weighed in at 39.6 grams. The weight difference indicates that something is missing from the fake, either the cells are lower capacity or the safety protection circuits were left out. Check out the Canon site or do a search for "fake Canon battery" to learn more about it.



The seller was quick to refund my full payment when I returned the battery and told me that he buys from liquidators so he believed the battery to be genuine. He has a good reputation and based on his handling of the issue, I believe him to be a good seller.



I made a similar weight comparison with my larger BP-511A batteries for my Canon 40D. Two genuine Canon batteries weighed around 79 grams each and a well respected third party branded battery weighed 76.5 grams. Close enough since they came from different manufacturers that I have no concerns about quality of the well performing third party battery and use it as a back-up in my DSLR.



Has anyone weighed the good third party branded batteries? That would be interesting information.

This battery is one of the best li-ion batteries I have ever come across. As a camera salesman, I have been able to see and use just about every camera li-ion battery out there. I own the G10 and I use it daily. This battery lasts an extremely long time on a charge and has a very slow discharge rate when sitting on a shelf. It is true that it will hold only so many charges but thats true with any rechargeable battery. The only catch is that this is one of canon's most expensive batteries. It is a good price on Amazon but expect to pay $70+ at electronic and camera retailers. It may be pricy but worth the money!

This battery works great, but I also bought the 'off brand' battery available here on Amazon. For me, that other battery works EVERY BIT as good as this battery at a FRACTION of the cost... and for the cost of the other one you can't really go wrong at least trying it first.

If you're in the market for an extra battery for your Canon camera, I'd highly suggest going with a name brand battery rather than a generic. Today's batteries typically include some additional electronics and technology for monitoring charge levels.

Not fond of the fact that my Canon G10 must use this expensive battery, but wow, does it go forever on a single charge. On a recent 10-day vacation, shooting approximately 200 pictures per day, I only had to recharge it once, and that was toward the end of the trip. I also appreciate the plug-in recharger; it's small and simple. If I must be tied to a proprietary battery, I'm glad it's this one.

I used this battery for a week in temperatures ranging from 20 to 40 degrees below zero Fahrenheit. Even fully charged, the cold caused the battery to lose about 25% of its charge, however I was still able to take more than 250 photographs before having to switch to my backup battery. I was impressed.

Brand-spanking new Canon G12 and first order of business was a backup battery... considering local stores didn't even carry the OEM battery (I was impatient!) a few clicks lead me to trusty Amazon and this listing. I was a bit hesitant but then read the reviews, so I purchased this one. Visually, this battery is identical to the one packaged with my G12, down to every last icon and marking on the casing. Performance-wise, this battery also seems identical to the original, lasting for hundreds of RAW shots with flash and zooming. I have drained and recharged this battery several times and performance has not changed. Highly recommended. Only gripe--mine arrived in a thin, plastic, shrink-wrapped sleeve, not in a Canon blister pack. - Camera Batteries - Battery - Camera Accessories - G10'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information