Thursday 2 December 2010

Game Controller


I want to make this review rather short. First, it's an easy to install Gamepad and looks very promising. You have the easy PS2 feel, dual-analog control pads, and a comfortable fit. You can install the drivers or not. It doesn't really make a difference because Windows will recognize it.



The problem with this Gamepad is that it is not very durable. I bought and tested this controller with MVP Baseball 2005 & Need for Speed Underground 2. What happened is, I had to take the controller back 3 times to have it replaced because the analog sticks would give out or get stuck in a certain postion. Now, in MVP Baseball, for example, you need the right stick to dive/slide with. Well, the analog stick stuck to the right in 2 of them I tried, so that ends up leaving you to have automatic fielding because you can't get to the ball when the player is diving for no reason. With Need for Speed, I found that the 1 controller where the left analog stick went out, the cars were just out of control.



There are many reviews online as I have found that confirm that Logitech never addressed this controllers issues. Even Tech. Support kept telling me I had just bought a bad controller when I called them on each one.



Be aware, once the analog stick goes, whether it is 2 days or 2 months, you can't calibrate it. The GamePad is useless. I would suggest you go with Nyko's AirFlo Gamepad instead. I've had no problems with that one. Logitech Dual Action Game Pad USB

Just like what everybody is saying, but it doesn't seem that severe to me though. Played NFS: Underground and Prince of Persia with it, when you constantly move the analog button, you won't feel any difference. It is only when you let go off the button and suddenly your guy started to walk by itself! Pity pity, it could be the perfect gamepad out there that resembles PlayStation gamepad...

I bought 2 and both have the same major problem. Both have the analog stick calibration drift problem, which is widespread and well-documented online (check out the logitech web site user forums). Unfortunately, Logitech is totally ignoring the problem despite a tremendous amount of complaints (presumably because it is a unpatchable hardware problem). I am also upset with EA for endorsing it for MVP Baseball 2004. I replaced it with the comparable Saitek P880, which has worked well for me so far.

Question:



Do YOU enjoy using gamepads that don't allow you to move in a single straight line, allowing only diagonal movement, because the directional pad is so screwed up?



Do YOU enjoy gamepads that don't allow full calibration or adjustment of sensitivity?



Do YOU enjoy products that don't work, will never work and should never be placed on the market by a company that clearly doesn't give a flying flip about whether or not their item actually correctly functions???



If so, the Logitech Dual Action Gamepad JUST MAY BE FOR YOU!



I've bought some terrible gamepads in my time, but never... NEVER... have I experienced a pad that caused so much immediate frustration. The controls are not even close to anything resembling precision. They're unresponsive, laggy, and hideously loose. There's no way you can play any sort of competitive game with this pad. There's no way you can do anything with this pad.



In fact, the very eve in which I bought this pad, I became so enraged with its dysfunctionability that I threw the mother on the floor and began wailing on it with a baseball bat. As the circuitry began flying into my face in little bits and chunks, I realized... this was my destiny. It was my fate to brutally destroy and conquer the Logitech Dual Action Gamepad. I wish I could assassinate every single model. I wish to cast this beast back to the depths from whence it came.



Quite simply put, this pad is a sin upon humanity. I despise you, Logitech. I will never trust you or your bred-of-darkness-evil company again.

Steer clear of these gamepads. Actually you won't be able to steer anything because most likely in a matter of weeks they won't work. I bought two at the same time and had sporadic problems right from the start and now they just quit working completely. I've seen many people having exactly the same problems on discussion boards. Spend a little more money and stay away these controllers.

I bought this item before reading these reviews but wish I had read them first. The controller is terrific except for the "minor" detail that the left stick went out after a couple of weeks. First I noticed a slight drift and now it completely freezes during game play on a regular basis. Sure you can fix it; exit the game, unplug and replug the device, and restart the computer. However, as I don't consider this a benefit I'll be returning today and finding another product.

You may be interested in the Logitech® Dual Action™ Gamepad for the same reason that I was: it is as close to a console pad as you can find and it doesn't cost all that much. $15-20 really isn't too bad of a price for one of these things considering the cost of certain other gamepads. But when you get into using the Logitech® Dual Action™ Gamepad for any period of time you may start to notice certain problems popping up, and that might lead you to think that your money was not well spent.



The Logitech® Dual Action™ Gamepad is wonderful out of the box, its feel and the response of the controls are both nice- with the exception of the difficulty you will experience with the directional pad on the left side (it is hard to move anything in a specific direction for long). Once you have 'worn it in', though, the Logitech® Dual Action™ Gamepad starts to show some of its real nasty habits. Mostly it has to do with the 'dual action' portion of the gamepad- the analog joysticks. After playing an analog joystick-intensive game like, say, Madden football or NBA Live; the sticks (especially the left side) will start to lose its calibration on a regular basis. This is an easy fix: just unplug it and plug it back in. Though it does get tiring when you have to do this every 30 seconds. The other problem with the joysticks is that they just plain wear out. After many, many hours of play (as I have put to the test), you will notice that your joystick will not work in many ways no matter how many times you re-plug it in.



All in all, despite all of its problems, I like the Logitech® Dual Action™ Gamepad and would recommend it to someone, as I have not found a more attractive alternative. My suggestion is that if you do buy one, buy it at Best Buy where you can also purchase a warranty on it. The warranty is only a few dollars more and if anything goes wrong with it- which WILL happen- you can return it for a brand new one, no questions asked. I, myself, am on my 9th controller. The hassle of having to go back to Best Buy aside (I shop there a lot anyway), I kind of like getting a new controller every few months- all for just the price of a few dollars more at purchase time. Buy the warranty.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Game Controller Game Controller Game Controller