Thursday 2 December 2010

Camera Accessory Bags - slr backpack, camera accessory bags


I have been using the Canon 200EG backpack camera case since about 2007, and love it. Correction: loved it. I think, on my short sample, that I prefer the Amazon.



The outer size is nearly identical, although the Amazon seems a bit larger only because its squared profile is harder / less collapsible than the Canon. The interior size is nearly identical, and is laid out identically. The small touches definitely favour the Amazon -- the inner zip compartments [perfect size for SD cards, lens cleaning pens, small manuals, tripod quick mounts, etc.] have a flap covering the zipper, which protects your expensive glass and camera bodies. The foam "foundations" for the velcro-ed compartments are firmer and a bit more sturdy [and padded] in the Amazon. As others have noted in reviews, the shoulder strap is better-padded on the Amazon, and there is a belt cinch for ease and a healthier walk when the sucker is weighed down. Not much difference, but a slight edge to the Amazon. Add in the price (and no "Canon" magnet for thieves), and the Amazon comes out ahead.



Make no mistake -- this thing will hold a LOT of gear. In the Canon, I took to Paris two Nikon DSLR bodies, an 80-200 pre-DSLR 2.8 constant zoom (big!), a 50 1.4, an 85 1.8, and a 20 2.8, SB-600 flash, along with table-top tripod, large air cleaning syringe, and assorted. Cramped, but do-able. And I've since put the same rig in the Amazon (but without traveling).



Finally -- I also have Tamrac backpacks, as well as a Crumpler 8 Million Dollar Home Case (Blue/Orange) MD0810A. [what can I say -- I'm a bag junkie!!!]. The others were all more expensive, sometimes over a C-Note more expensive. And NO layout is more accessible than this Canon / Amazon full-zip opening backpack. Lay it flat on the ground, and you can grab anything/everything in moment. No digging, no hassle.



Buy this sucker. I got it in a lightning deal, but the normal Amazon price is still a great one.





And no -- I don't object to the Amazon zippers. . . . . AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories (Black)

I filled the backpack with a camera body, 4 lenses, and a flash. There was still room for a small lens.



Pros:

Comfortable, good layout, a lot of versatility.



Cons:

On the first day of carrying it the seam started to pull out at the top of the straps then later at the top of the second pocket. This was on the first day of a 10 day vacation so I had to be extra careful the rest of the trip to make sure it would not come completely undone.

This camera bag is very similar in quality and function to the Canon 200EG but cost $10 less. It is comfortable on your back; build quality is sturdy and holds tons of photographic gears: at least 2 bodies + a few lenses.

The only problem I have with this bag is that it holds your tripod to the side rather than having it hang off the bottom of the bag. If you carry a tripod with it, it makes one side of your bag much heavier than the other. The imbalance can be uncomfortable at times.

I bought this backpack as a birthday gift for my boyfriend. I got the response I had hoped for - "I love this bag!" - a few weeks later. He can fit 5 lenses, 2 flashes, 1 camera body, and tons of miscellaneous camera/photography stuff in it. The padding is substantial, I don't think he's worried at all about things shifting or banging into each other. And the straps are plenty long - he's not a little guy but he doesn't have to have them extended all the way to wear it comfortably. My only objection is to the bright yellow "Amazon" emblazoned on all of the zipper pulls, but I guess you'll get something similar with any brand. All in all a great bag and a great value for money. - Camera Accessory Bags - Slr Backpack - Camera Backpack - Photography'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information