Thursday 2 December 2010

Altec Lansing - pc speakers, desktop speakers


I picked these up as a temporary solution to get some sound for my PC. My decision to purchase these was primarily because of my prior experience with an Altec Lansing ASC 495 system. Not yet available at Amazon, the BX1221 speakers were purchased at Walmart for $24.95.



When I first installed these I was horrified by the muffled, muted sound that came out of them. After fiddling with the equalizer software that came with my sound card I finally hit on a setting which provided much more crispness and ok bass. Then I went to work on the equalizer and WOW settings in Windows Media player. Once all the twiddling was finsihed I was really surprised by the good sound from this little budget system.



Altec Lansing says they are compact for a crowded desktop. Small, Yes. Compact, No. Due to the long design of the desktop units they actually take up more desk space than any previous speaker I've owned. They're about six inches long so take that into account before you purchase them.



Pros:

-Darn good sound once you adjust them to your preference

-Low Price

-Adequate power



Cons:

-Volume control is a thumbwheel on top of the right speaker

-On/Off switch is a rotory dial on the back of the right speaker

-Left Speaker is connected to the right via a short speaker cord, roughly 42", not allowing for a great deal of seperation

-No seperate volume control or adjustment available for the sub-woofer



Would I buy them again under the same circumstances? Probably. If you're short on cash they're a good value. They're far from a premium system but the installation is simple; they're just plug and play right out of the box. If all you want is an upgrade from 2.0 speakers that came with your computer, you will most likely be happy with the BX1221. Once I get moved I'll be going back to my old 5.1 surround system but until then I can still listen to my tunes without cringing at the sound quality. Altec Lansing BXR1221 2.1 Speaker System (Black)

These work great as a low cost substitute for the poor quality speakers in the new LED HDTVs. Just plug in the jack to the TVs aux audio jack and plug into wall and you're ready to go. Sound quality is about the same as in a thicker TV, and you can control volume with remote from TV. This is not for those who want suround sound or anything, just makes up for thin poor quality LED speakers.

Hi!

I got this speakers just a few hours ago and instantly after I installed them and turned computer on I noticed the difference from my older

Logitech R-20 2.1 speakers. The sound quality is way better. Top notch and crystal clear sound. I can tell when drummer is hitting the cymbal or the crash or the china. I can completely tell the bass or double bass.



Great sound for a minor price if you want a basic 2.1 with a top notch sound.

The only thing that I wish it has more power was the bass. But dont get me wrong, is great. But I personally would have liked a bit more power in the subwoofer.



Coming from someone who've had 3 pair of stereo speakers, believe me, this is the best one so far.

Totally worth every penny. - Pc Speakers - Desktop Speakers - Computer Speaker - Altec Lansing'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information