Monday 8 November 2010

Wireless - router, d-link


I'm by no means network savvy, but for basic internet browsing, e-mail, streaming movies, from a cable modem, this router is wonderful. I'm quite surprised, the firmware setup is easy to use as well. This price can't be beat. I bought this for my college apartment. If I ever need another router, it will be a D-link.



I will recommend D-link to others. D-Link DIR-601/RE Wireless N 150 Home Router Refurbished

This thing is slow and disconnects all the time. Lucky I mainly use it for my iphone otherwise I would be even more bitter about it.



There is a reason why it was on a black friday special; there were trying to get rid of this junk.



It's better to pay up $30 more for something better.

Dont buy this refubrished router, looks used,has scartches in the case and dry water marks like when wiped with a damp cloth, when you open the package is the first that you see. I return this router for a refund. Stay away and buy a new one.

I know zip about computers. So when I was told I needed a router I was lost! I read some reviews on the web and settled on this one because of great reviews and low price! I only really needed it to be fast enough for Netflix...and it is! And it is super easy to set up thank goodness!

Set up went OK, straight forward. The longest part was re-organizing various power supplies to plug in yet another wall-wort (and this one doesn't take up 2 outlets of a surge protector).

Connected my laptop by wireless easily, but no internet. I could ping my PC (connected to the router by LAN cable). I tried EVERY setting. I rebooted EVERYTHING (at least once). I took out ALL security.... I didn't have internet on the PC either...

I noticed that my DSL modem 'internet' light wasn't on. I unplugged the modem-router cable from the router, plugged it into my laptop and the internet light came on. I had internet on the laptop. I plugged the cable back into the router and had internet on the PC. I reconnected to the wireless on the LT and had internet.

So I go to re-set the security. Because I had changed everything I could, I wanted to start over. I did a reset of the router from the browser interface from the PC. Nothing seemed to change. I did a manual reset w/ a paper-clip and the recessed button... NOTHING changed!!

I was frustrated so I shut it all down for the night - because there was no security set.

The next morning I had to go thru the ordeal of connecting the laptop to the DSL modem to get internet again.

I did some web-searching and found that the internet problem is commonly because the default IP of the router is the same as some DSL modems. I changed the routers IP - then I had to change the DHCP range (note: use an IP near either end of the range). It worked!

I still wanted to reset the thing and start over with the security settings. Resetting it isn't in the manual table-of-contents... More web-surfing got me: reset the router with the power on - hold the button down for at least 10 seconds maybe 15 - till the Power LED begins to flash? & wait at LEAST 30 seconds before you try to connect to it. That worked!!

Note: I've found that LOTs of vendors are selling these 'refurbished', which means that a LOT of them were returned by their original purchaser... I hope that's mostly due to the poor manual (and support), and I hope I've helped someone else out with this review.













More web-searching on resetting the router. - D-link - Wireless N - Router - D-link Wireless Router'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information