Monday 8 November 2010

Home Theater - hdmi, home theater


I have a DirecTV HR20 receiver and a Samsung TV that had a 50 ft run I was trying to split off in another room from the main TV. I tried the regular HDMI splitter but could only get video but no sound. After doing some research I found out I needed an active splitter. The original one suggested to me ran around $150. I came across this unit and read through the helpful comments. This unit worked perfect with no quality loss. Unit is very small as well which enables you to put it behind the receiver and you don't even know it is there. ViewHD 2 Port HDMI 1x2 Powered Splitter Ver 1.3 Certified for Full HD 1080P & 3D (One Input To Two Outputs)

Bought this item so that my son would have the option of displaying my PS3 picture on my computer monitor -OR- on our 46" Samsung 1080p TV set. We got tired of having to wait for him to "finish a game" or "just a moment" to watch our TV. But splitting the HDMI out on the PS3 two ways with this device, we now can direct him to just turn on the PC monitor to continue his gaming -OR- if we aren't using the TV, he can play the PS3 in it's much bigger viewing on the TV. You can also watch it on both at the same time, and both have an excellent picture with no loss of picture quality.



This is EXACTLY why I bought this, and it has worked flawlessly so far.



If you need to split one HDMI output for two possible HD screens, then I would highly recommend this device. If you are trying to use this item for some thing that this device clearly isn't designed for, you might want to try something else. But it works great for it's intended purpose!

I was skeptical when I bought this unit. I needed to split my HDMI in order to feed 2 CRT projectors in a stacked arrangement. I was also using custom timings at 1080p60, which gives some of my other equipment fits. To my delight, this splitter worked perfectly. I am able to run both pj's at the same time, or one at a time for independent convergence which has to be done periodically.

The only thing I don't like is the bright red led's. They show up too much in my very dark home theater. I would have liked a much dimmer led, perhaps in blue or green. Red means something is wrong in my mind, and in this case it indicates everything is OK.

I highly recommend this very reasonably priced item.

This items works great, and had a great price too. I used it to split the HD output of my TiVo, one for the Living room 1080p TV right near it, and one a 50 foot cable through the ceiling to the 720p TV in the bedroom so I can watch HD shows off my TiVo there too (controlled by remote via X10 powermid). The picture on both sides is beautiful.

I bought this item to send my Sony BluRay video to my Philips TV or to an Epson projector through a Sony AV receiver. The problem was that the sound through the Sony AV receiver always reverted to Dolby Prologic, even if the BluRay was 5.1 or 7.1. This was with the TV turned completely off. Somehow, the presence of the turned off TV on one output was affecting the handshake between the BluRay and AV Receiver through the other output. It may have been some fault of the TV maybe to affect it this way. But, I even tried unplugging the TV from the wall socket, to make sure it was all the way OFF. Still, the same result. However, if I unplugged the HDMI output to the TV, then the handshake was perfect and I was getting 5.1/7.1 sound. Their recommended config is to put the BluRay to the Amp first, then switch the video output to TV or Projector, but that does not fit my needs (I want to use the built in TV speakers when playing on the TV, and amplified sound when playing on projector).



To their credit, the support person worked with me on this promptly, had me try a few thing, and issued an RMA (this was all done via email, which I prefer). I had to pay to ship it back, but got a full and courteous refund, so I can't fault the seller (unlike some of the other posters here).



The solution to my problem was to buy an HDMI A/B mechanical switch. Not as elegant as having this automatic switch (I have to remember to switch it each time or face a blank screen wondering why!). But, it is a MUCH cheaper solution (got it from monoprice), and it works flawlessly every time with perfect handshake.

I'm running my PS3 into the splitter, with one output directly to a small Vizio TV and the other to my receiver (where it's then output to my 50" Sony SXRD TV.) I can have either on by themselves, or play games on the PS3 on the Vizio while my wife is watching a TV show or DVD on the Sony, and have no loss of signal. Works great!

Purchased Onkyo TX SR 706 which has a problem with clipping the video signal from my Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray in "Pass Through Mode". More specifically it was limiting the BTB & WTW portion of the Video signal. This maybe a marginal issue with most users, but I couldn't get past it knowing that I spent $550 on a receiver that couldn't pass through an unaltered signal back to my Samsung HL61A750.

After much agonizing research I found that the Firefold HDMI splitter may solve the problem. Purchased it . Effectively split the HDMI video and Audio to the TV and Onkyo and solved the above clipping problem. However, the overall picture and audio seemed to be lacking something.

Purchased this HDMI splitter and completely love it. HDMI signal split as in the Firefold product, except the video and Audio seemed much better! Would recommend it above the Firefold strictly on performance, but it costs $20 less too!

I don't know why other reviewers in this post say the HDMI Video & Audio signal can't be split with this product?



My biggest beef with this whole issue is Onkyo. The TX SR 706 and TX SR 806 cannot pass through an unaltered Blu-ray signal using HDMI. This is documented in a review of the TX SR 806 in the "Secrets of Home Theater" (Oct'08). Onkyo still denies this problem exists and keeps saying "We have never heard of this problem" even though it is documented that many customer have called to report it. Onkyo has moved on to the 2009 models and will not admit this problem with the 2008 lineup of receivers. Anyway, Onkyo offers no problem solving help for current owners and offer no firmware upgrade to fix the problem, because they stick to the claim the issue doesn't exist.



Wow.......what a stupid company! - Hdtv - Hdmi - Hdmi Cable Splitter - Home Theater'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information