Monday 8 November 2010

Power Plug Adapter


I've been using this model of travel converter for over 5 years, traveling all over the world. I have only a few 110V US items that I carry with me, the most important to me is an RCR123a battery charger. It has yet to fail me. I use just an adapter (not a converter) for my laptops and other items that have power supplies capable of handling 100-240 Volts at 50 or 60 Hz.



I paid $25 for mine, so the shipping charge doesn't seem terribly out of line. I would like to get it for less, of course. Simran 1875 Watts Travel Voltage Converter For Using 110V USA Products In 220V/240V Countries. Model SM-1875

Having gone through part of the reviews here, I guess some users might have misunderstood the application of this convertor.



If you want to use your electronic devices operated with a rechargeable battery (such as your iPhone, cell phone, ipod, ipad, laptop PC, digital camera) in another country where the household power supply is at 220/240V, you don't need to bother, because nearly all these electronic products are designed today to be completed with a battery charger suitable for a voltage range from 100V to 240V, in other words, people carry these electronic items and travel around in the world so these items should work properly anywhere at any level of voltage. Whatever you have and wish to use in a foreign country, just carefully check the marking on the battery charger about the voltage rating ... if the voltage rating is printed or embossed as "100-240V", then don't worry, simply connect the power plug to a socket to charge the battery after you get to the destination.



I also brought with me two laptop PC's, a cell phone and an SRL digital camera from China (at 220/240V) and have been using them here in the U.S. (at 110V) for almost half a year ... everything is okay as perfectly as they worked in China, because the battery chargers can work at any voltage from 100V to 240V. The applicable type of plugs may be different in a foreign country, as there are many types of plugs in the world. To make sure that your above-mentioned electronic products can be plugged in a socket in a foreign country, you should also check if you need a plug adapter. If you need a plug adapter, after getting to the destination you will first insert the plug adapter into a local socket, and then insert the the power plug of your electronic product into the plug adapter to charge the battery. You may search by googling "Worldwide Travel Plug Adapter Guide", and refer to the type of plugs that is used in the country you are going to visit.



However, if you want to use an ELECTRICAL item operated under alternating current (like a hair dryer, steam iron), you will need such a convertor, so that your electrical item for 110V can be used at foreign voltage 220/240V. If you don't, your electrical item will get burned from a voltage break-through. Some products sold in the U.S. are completed with a rechargeable battery (electrical toothbrushes, for example), but the voltage rating of the battery charger is subject to 110V, meaning that the battery can be charged at 110V only. So if you need to use such an electrical item outside the U.S. at 220/240V, you should also ask for such a convertor.



I ordered this convertor for my parents who are going to travel in China, as they'd like to bring a water flosser with them and that is absolutely an electrical item. I received this in a good condition, but couldn't find a better manual than the brief instruction on the box. The quality should be okay as it has adequate weight. Hope my parents would say yes to its quality after they use it.





Update on 04-28-11:

According to my parents, this converter does not work with a water flosser in China. It is too weak, and there is no water flush generated from the water flosser even at the 'HIGH' position of the converter.

It was a waste of money. I would not recommend this product, and hence reduced the rating to 1 star.

A very compact and lightweight converter to carry while travelling overseas. I have used it with my battery, cellphone and camcorder chargers. Also I have used it with my Shaver and toothbrush. I have owned it for two years and have used it on my trips to Europe and Asia. It has a thermal fuse which protects it from overheating. It is very reliable and has never failed on me.

I travel extensively overseas for work. This converter is the best travel companion! I use it for my iPod, iPhone, cell phone charger, camera AND my hair dryer. It is compact and easy to travel with. I highly recommend this converter for travel. I'm glad I found it on Amazon.

I cannot deal with a bad hair day. Even while travelling I must carry my own hair dryer & hair straightner. This converter worked great for me while holidaying in Europe & Asia. As per instructions I used it on the High setting for both the Items. It also worked great with my husband's shaver & iPhone on the Low setting. We were impressed that such a lightweight converter, worked so well for all our gadgets. We highly recommend this converter for travellers.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information