Monday 22 November 2010

Uninterrupted Power Supply Ups


I ordered this for my new computer, and we had a power flicker just a few hours after I set it up! It worked perfectly. There is software included that will let you check the status of the battery and tell the unit what to do if it loses power (such as turn off the computer). Very useful!



Two things to note:

1) Make sure you connect the battery! There's a note on it to do this, but just in case you get in an unwrapping frenzy, you have to turn it over and slide the cover off in order to do that.



2) Only 4 of the outlets are powered by the battery- the other 4 are JUST surge protection. So if you want more than 4 items plugged into the battery, you may want to upgrade to a different model! It works perfectly for me though! APC Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V

So far I'm very pleased...I purchased this to safeguard my fiancee's Mac Mini. Setup was a breeze, just connect the battery, charge, plug in the AC and connect the data port to the Mac's USB port. The Mac instantly recognized the UPS in the Energy Saver section of System Preferences and provided me with several automated shutdown options...no additional software or configuration was necessary.

Great product. We use these at the company I work for. They are great in the case of a "flicker" in power, no lost data. Or in the case of a longer outage, this gives you approx. 3-5 minutes to save what you are working on and shut down your computer. In my eyes, 4 receptacles on battery is plenty. All you really need is monitor and tower, all other peripherals can be plugged into surge protector. I would absolutely recommend this unit and we plan to purchase more in the future.

I wanted a UPS back-up power system that would enable me to operate my PC (tower unit), 19 in monitor, all-in-one printer/fax/copier/scanner and router for a nominal 15 minutes following complete loss of power. The APS E8 meets the requirement for back-up outlets and back-up duration. The unit is relatively compact as the backed-up outlets are stacked over the 4 surge protected only outlets. The outlet functions are clearly marked. My only complaint is that the outlets should have been placed a little further apart to accomodate older equipment that uses plug mounted external transformers. Only 1 back-up & 1 surge protection only outlet are spaced sufficiently away from the others to accomodate such transformers. Otherwise, a transformer or similar oversized device with a plug will cover two outlets, reducing the utility of the box if those outlets are needed.

Product: APC Backup-UPS ES 8-Outlet 550VA

Rating: 3/5 (good)



I bought one of these units several years ago at my local computer/electronics stores ... not to protect a PC, but rather to protect my phone answering machine, cable box, and most importantly my new (and then quite expensive) Flatscreen TV. It's done a very admirable job, and I only recently re-gifted it to a family member, after replacing it with a newer model 1300.



Advantages:

* Easy to use, right out of the box.

* Multiple connection types and outlets.

* Low space-saving profile, easily fitting inside or under small cabinets and tables.



Disadvantages:

* Small battery offers very limited runtime (figure 7-10 mins).

* Lacks built-in digital display showing load and remaining runtime.

* Lacks manual bypass for loud audible power-outtage alarm.



Bottom line: this is a very decent no-frills unit if you're on a budget. However, an increasing array of newer units with status displays are becoming cost competitive. Lastly, if your power blinks frequently, the lack of an alarm bypass can become annoying.



-----------------

TIP: Most UPSs have limited runtime. For example, the XS-1300 I replaced 550 with only holds 7AH of power (which will run my PC for just under 1 hour). To greatly extend this, I bought a big 55AH sealed marine gel battery, a trickle charger, and a 400W inverter. When the power goes out, that gives me the option of plugging either my UPS/PC or my UPS/TV setups into the 55AH battery for an additional 8+ hours of runtime.

The APC website states this unit will supply power for approximately 13 minutes at 50% draw and approximately 3 minutes at 100%. I plugged it in via the supplied USB and Windows immediately recognized the UPS. It was configurable in the control panel power options - the Powerchute software was not even necessary. I installed it anyway, however, since I was used to using it in business settings (this one is for my home). The software automatically disables the Windows controls and installs a very easy to use application with more options than windows. All in all, a great little UPS. I got this one after returning a Cyberpower unit which was a piece of junk (I fell for the cheaper price but you get what you pay for!)

I purchased this product with the express interest in using it to back-up my homes wireless router. There are a couple quirks with it though:

1 For some reason, the particular product that I received had an extremely short battery connect cord. Which made it a slight nightmare to attach the battery. However, when I finally pushed hard enough, the battery connected and started to charge. I have not read of anyone having this kind of problem though, so I believe that I just received the odd-ball.

2 For some reason, mine decides to randomly switch to battery power for about 3-4 seconds even when the power is not out. The software on the computer says: "AC Power Restored", but does not give a reason for the device switching the power. It does not interrupt the power to my router, but it does occasionally click when the relay switches to battery power.

3 The computer software gives you an approximate amount of time that you have left on the battery. Oddly for me, it is about 40 minutes off. The software says that I have 24 minutes left, and when we had a blackout the other day it kept my router running for a little more than an hour. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just strange.



The device has solid construction, a fairly large capacity, and though has some strange quirks, works fine for me. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a UPS. The only reason it is not a 5 star product is how the battery connections were so hard for me to attach.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information