Monday 22 November 2010

Kitchen Appliances - disappointing, popcorn


Well, I surely gave it a fair try: popped 3 batches of various sizes, closely following all directions, using fresh popping corn from two separate packages. Results:



* Noticeable cooked plastic odor and taste in the popped corn - yuck.

(... when I returned it to my local retailer, the clerk told me he had noticed the same problem in their sample...)



* You like your popcorn fluffly and light? All three batches were denser and heavier than standard popped corn.



* Far too many uncooked kernels.



* Poor build quality: the base had a loose part rattling inside that sounded like a broken piece.



* Seating the hotplate into the base takes some getting used to. At first I thought I had it seated properly and the rotor moved, but the plate refused to heat, requiring that I reseat it repeatedly and very precisely to get the cooking element to connect properly.



It's a shame. I had high hopes for this product (I trust and respect the Cuisinart name - I have one of their food processors). I liked that it had an anodized heating surface - believing that should make it very durable. Results were terrible though.



Does a very nice job of making popcorn as long as you follow the directions and have quick reflexes. When the popping stops, don't hesitate.



But ... after half a dozen batches, the machine quit working. Apparently the heating element wore out. The person at the 1-800 number confirmed that seemed to happen a lot. In other words, Cuisinart appears to know that the thing is a piece of junk. They say they're going to send us another one -- as soon as we decide whether to pay the postage for it.

I bought this for the family, and I was very excited about using it as it's a novel way to make popcorn, and we love the stuff. The second time I used it, however, I burned the hell out of my wrist. This product has a terrible design flaw: when you up-end the base after popping, you expose the heating element. Unless you are very careful when lifting the relatively heavy (and unbalanced) base and bucket, you will burn yourself badly.



Secondly, the plastic lid on the base of the bucket (the top of the popper) sits loosely. You might need a third hand to hold it on as you turn the tub over, or you could spill a trace of hot oil on your counter or yourself.



Thirdly, the small plastic pieces that are designed to protect the heating plugs in the base snap off easily. This bit of plastic broke within 3 uses in the first popper we bought. The piece wedged in a way that the heating element could not be plugged in any longer. We returned it for a second unit, and after a month the same bit of plastic broke again. At this point I threw it in the trash, mostly to make a point to myself (of course, I really should have gotten my money back).



This product is fundamentally flawed in so many ways. Please, please, please do yourself a favor and avoid it.

I read the bad reviews, but we wanted the best popcorn popper available. We love our food processor, our toaster, and our coffee maker - so we went with the lure of the Cuisinart brand name, which usually means top quality. But not in this case. Too bad. The EasyPop worked great for 3 days, then the plate wouldn't heat anymore and there are broken pieces bouncing around inside the base - just like the other reviews warned me about. (Doh!) Now we'll call the 800 number and hope for the best. A waste of time and money.

This popcorn maker is a great alternative to those unhealthily microwavable brands. You make the popcorn to your liking, with very little oil. For me I use a whole mess of salt and real melted butter...we are talking about snack food after all. The best results, though, do come from using less oil. The unit is quick and easy: oil, kernels, and switch it on, that's it. It even pops right into the serving bowl. The vents at the top help the hot air move through the popping chamber making the popcorn light fluffy. But this is no air popper; you know this is the real deal when you taste it. Another thing I found useful was the bottom lid on the severing bowl. It prevents a mess by catching the salt and crumbs that can slip through the vents. Getting the bottom plate attached is a pain but it's a one time operation. Overall, this is a great value and I am quite satisfied with its performance.

We, as similar to others, were focused on the Cuisinart brand. Went through 4 of these within a 1 month period all had similar defects. When attatching the base to the popping container the locking tabs break. The tabs are very poorly constructed and it is not capable of frequent usage. Do not buy this product.Buyer beware.

For the first time, I am submitting a negative review. The Cuisinart "EasyPop" popcorn maker I purchased through Amazon is so completely defective that I have never, ever, been able to get even one grain of popcorn to "pop." Now admittedly, the instructions are quite clear: "The unit will not operate if popping plate is not positioned correctly." That is a gross understatement. I have rotated the "plate very slightly back and forth" as directed, and I have felt "the plate fall into place" on countless occasions. But despite my best efforts and that of friends and family, it (the miserable unit) has never worked. I called Cuisinart for help. "Sorry, the heating element must be defective, but since you did not purchase it from Cuisinart we cannot help you." Amazon, as I foolishly failed to keep the box in which the unit had been packed, cannot assist me either. So, I say buy this "EasyPop" Cuisinart unit with extreme caution and care as you may suffer the same fate... ownership of a $70 popper that will not "pop." - Popcorn - Popcorn Poppers - Cuisinart - Healthy Eating - Disappointing - Popcorn Maker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information