Monday 22 November 2010

Camera Accessories - camera lens cover, lens caps


Canon should supply these caps with all their lenses. Instead they supply side pinch caps that are impossible to get off if you have a hood attached. Some people use Nikon caps on Canon lenses just to get the center pinch. This is a nice alternative at a lower price. Fit is perfect on the 58mm lens, and the center pinch is wonderful...you can get the cap on and off with the hood attached. Zeikos ZE-LC58 58mm Plastic Snap On Lens Cap (Black)

I only bought one, I wanted to see if it was any good before I paid for more. Was I surprised! This is an excellent little device at a good price. I will order enough for all of my lenses.



With my standard issue Canon lens caps, I have to remove the lens hood from my zoom lens to be able to reach the side 'buttons' of the lens cap. This cap has those side buttons, but also center squeeze buttons, so I can easily reach into the hood and squeeze those center buttons together to remove or install the cap. Also, the Canon caps often fall off in my camera bag; this cap grasps the lens more firmly, and the higher spring tension keeps this cap from falling off if a side button presses on the bag dividers while removing or inserting the camera. This cap also has a small hole in the side if you want to use a cap leash, something I don't even see in the similarly designed, but expensive 'vanity' lens caps with the camera brand printed on the front.



However, I do wish the manufacturer would roughen the center squeeze button surfaces up a little to give my fingers a better grip, they can get a little slippery at times. I will take coarse sandpaper or a Dremel tool and roughen them myself; not a big deal.



ADDED: I took the small piece of coarse sandpaper from my bicycle tire tube patch kit and gave those center buttons a few good, hard swipes. Now the center buttons are easy to grasp, no longer slippery!

Normally a lens cap is not something that you can say much about, but I really like this one. My Canon G12 point and shoot can accommodate an extension tube for attaching filers; I bought this to protect my filters when I am walking around with this arrangement on the camera. The lens cap is well made, is very sturdy, and has both inner and outer release points. I like this far better than the lens caps that came with the Canon lenses I use on my DSLR and I'm thinking about buying more in other sizes if available.

This is the cap should ship on every Canon lens. It is sturdy and easy to use. Unlike the one that comes with a lens, which pops off if you look at it cross-eyed. I bought one to test it out. Now I'm going to buy more.

I own a Canon EOS Rebel XSi and lost the original cap while on a trip. I bought this to replace the missing cap, and man was I surprised. Perfect fit, as if it was factory OEM piece. Feels more secure and definitely easier to take on and off. Great product!

At this price you might expect a second rate product. You would be wrong. Having purchased a more expensive Canon Snap-On Lens Cap, this Zeikos ZE acquired for a second camera turned out to be the more appreciated product. In comparison to the Canon, this cap has much wider compression release surfaces around the circumference (in addition to the center release) that make it significantly easier to grasp quickly by feel when you want the cap removed and easier to handle when reattaching it to a lens. It has been appreciated enough a second Zeikos ZE was purchased roughly a year later and the Canon cap put in "permanent storage".

I purchased three different inexpensive 58mm caps from Amazon at the same time: (1) this cap, (2) Fotodiox Inner pinch Lens Cap with Cap Keeper, 58mm

and (3) the 58mm Snap-On Universal Lens Cap. All arrived relatively quickly, but this arrived first.



This lens cap, although a little thicker than a flexible press-on, works well with my DSLR manufacturer's 58mm filter-size lenses. It has a larger gripping surface than the default caps provided with their lenses, and so stays in place. The clamping mechanism has more travel than the original manufacturer's lens caps and so is slightly easier to install and remove. The cap and its clamp appear well constructed and should be long lasting. However, this cap does not include a tether as does both the "Fotodiox" and "Universal" caps.



Bottom Line - If you don't need a tether, of the three caps purchased this cap appears the best choice. If you'd like a tether then the Fotodiox cap is the better choice, particularly if you have larger fingers and may have trouble squeezing a tighter pinch mechanism, such as found on the 58mm Snap-on Universal Lens cap. The Fotodiox cap is just easier to use than the Universal Cap.



Just remember that the cap you select stays with the camera not with the lens. Thus, it's advisable to leave an extra 58mm cap in your camera bag for those times you remove a 58mm filter-size lens for one with a different filter-size thread. - Camera Accessories - Camera Lens Cover - Lens Caps - Canon'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information