Thursday 18 November 2010

Underwater Case - canon digital, photography


I was generally well pleased with how this housing performed. I did have 3 minor annoyances - you have to remove the wrist strap before placing the camera in the housing (and it's a royal pain to reattach); the slider bar for the auto/photo/video control was very easy to accidentally move and hard to tell what position it was in; and the flash diffuser comes off easily. Canon WP-DC36 Waterproof Case for Canon SD1300IS Digital Camera

While a deployed sailor in the Horn of Africa, the chance was given for us to be able to beat the monotony of the day-to-day workload with a tour to the bay for whale watching tours. Seeing this as an opportunity to snorkel and swim with the large creatures, I immediately went on Amazon to find a casing for the Canon SD1300IS 12.1MPS digital camera. The shipping was fast, the case intact and the purchase was reasonable in terms of cost. The casing worked great for the shallow waters of the bay outside our base, but alas, no sharks. I have this great casing for my future scuba diving trips now. What more could one wish for?!

I have only used the case 7 times, and it has been great so for. I have had it to 120 feet taking pics and videos with no problems. I carried the camera and case in my back pack for a week in Utila, Honduras never had a problem Very Glad I bought it!!!

The case works underwater as described. I took great stills and video and it operates as expected. However, I noticed that even in mild heat (in the car trunk for 2 hours), the acrylic window in front of the camera lens starts developing a "foggy halo", which makes the camera unusable until it cools down for a good hour. Now the case travels with me in the front of the car to stay air conditioned, but this is a flaw I would have not expected in a case that seems otherwise well constructed.

This is the third case I own and I never had this problem before (I should have stayed with Sony).

In my opinion, the diffusion filter for the flash and the shoulder sling are fairly useless accessories. I wish Canon had focused on putting more care on the choice of material instead.

Bought this because I needed something to be able to take my digital camera snorkeling and diving while in Maui for 2 weeks... I knew from previous experience the disposable underwater cameras just didn't produce good pictures.... was a little causious because of the cost but other reviews I read helped me decide.... Well it worked great... I followed the advise from others about temperture changes and kept it safe from sand never opening it at the beach... so the seal was never a worry I dove with it to 88 feet and pictures were incredible... this is a must have if you dive or want water pictures with a digital camera.



See for yourself....

Got this waterproof case, and the Canon SD1300IS Digital Camera, for my grandson, who is in a commercial diving school. He has been taking a lot of pictures, both underwater and classroom types. Says it is no problem taking this case off the camera or putting it back on. Also, it still takes excellent photos out of the water without removing case from the camera. He plans to make a CD of their training for all his classmates at graduation on 28 June, 2011. Pictures I have seen are AMAZINGLY clear - can't tell there is a cover over the camera! He's also happy it will go down to 130 ft without failing. - Digital Camera - Housing - Canon Digital - Photography'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information