Friday 11 June 2010

Lifestyle Design


This is my first book review on Amazon and I decided it was worth leaving my two cents. Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. The author outlines how working on your own terms is possible. She practices what she preaches and provides numberous stories and examples to prove it. The biggest thing I've struggled with in my traditional 9-to-5 job is not having time to pursue things I want to do. I can only afford to take off TWO days for my brother's wedding in Ohio. Maybe I'll fly to Florida NEXT year to visit friends when my vacation time renews. My husband and I own a motorcycle and trying to save enough vacation days to travel for any length of time during the summer months always leaves me wanting. Rationing my two weeks vacation a year is always depressing. The author acknowledges this common frusteration and poses a solution. She's living the solution herself (wait till you read about her 18 weeks vacation a year!) The author walks you through brainstorming activities to help you get out of the 9-to-5 rut and there are sections outlining pitfalls to avoid. For me, this book was a push to really examine talents and experiences I can use to redefine my career and lifestyle. My career path has changed course as I've already started pursuing potential leads...hopefully it does the same for you. The 9-to-5 Cure: Work on Your Own Terms and Reinvent Your Life

The 9-to-5 Cure is a real gem in a market filled with fluff and theory. It's a must-read for anyone looking to design a business and lifestyle that are aligned with what matters most to them -- and written by someone who really knows her stuff. Cardinale's ideas, tips and strategies are practical, actionable and fundamentally sound. If you're ready to make a commitment to change the way you work and play, this book is an excellent place to start.

This ideas contained within this book aren't bad. In fact, they provide a lot of solid food for thought on how we can improve our general happiness by taking control of the world around us. That is a good thing.



What I did not like about the book is that the relaxed conversational tone got very tiresome after 200 odd pages. I never felt I fully connected with the author so having her write in a style that seemed like we were long time friends felt forced and a little out of place. In addition, I never felt fully driven to move forward with the ideas. We all have friends that we like to talk to because they are comforting and others that ignite an inner fire in us. For me, the author was further on the side of the comforting/relaxed.



I implore others to read some samples from the book and get an idea for themselves. For some the conversational tone might be great, for others it might feel a bit too avuncular.

I thought it was a transformative book in delivering fresh ideas with a strong motivational undercurrent and a big picture of life feel. It is substantial enough to give the reader a sense of confidence in pursuing their objectives. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to expand his or her career opportunities. Good luck all....

I find the book to be both practical and honest, and when presented with a warm and encouraging voice, it was an overall good read! I like that the author asks really pragmatic questions (e.g. How much money do you need to live the lifestyle you want?) and then challenges the reader to step outside of our comfort zone in thinking of ways that we can make that money. The reality is that the principles outlined in this book aren't a one sized fit all way of working for everyone. I think plenty of people who need certainty in how/when/where their income is coming from won't necessarily be the person who thrives on a patchwork lifestyle. But for the person who seeks a way to lead a more entrepreneurial lifestyle of making money, and who is willing to spend time and effort designing a new way of work, this book will be a great tool in helping them along. For me, I'm still figuring out what work style would suit me more, and I find myself thumbing through the 9-to-5 Cure every few days, and am thankful that my good friend sent me this book!

Even though the economy is bad at this point, it's also a time for opportunity. Whether you've been laid off or simply feel stuck in your job, The 9-to-5 Cure: Work on Your Own Terms and Reinvent Your Life will show you exactly how to find your life again. So often we get buried beneath work until it becomes the vast majority of our life. This book will show you how to stop working for a living and learn to live again as you reinvent the life you desire and deserve.



Want to change careers or have some backup plans in case something current falls through? The 9-to-5 Cure will show you how to do it! This isn't the same ol' same ol' where an author preaches words of comfort or inspiration. Instead, Kristin Cardinale takes you by the hand and shows you exactly how to create a working plan for your life that makes you feel rejuvenated rather than drained to the core. Who knew that working could be so fulfilling and actually exhilarating? Not to mention stable! I urge you to buy and read The 9-to-5 cure today!

I was a bit skeptical when first picking up this book; it seemed like a pipe dream. Wouldn't all of us break free from the prison-esque 9-5 job if we had any real choice in the matter? An optimist, I began reading anyhow and proceeded to spend the next hour in that exact spot inside Barnes & Nobles. Cardinale's advice is practical and the promised results, attainable. The stories she shares of her own quest for the ultimate 9-5 and the painstaking realization that the "ultimate 9-5" was an oxymoron, and achieving prestigious job titles still left her miserable and unfulfilled, gave her credibility in my eyes. This is someone who climbed the mountain, saw the view from the top and realized it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Instead of drudging through for the remainder of her career (like most) she forged a new path and figured out how to use the skill sets she already possessed to create that "ultimate" career for herself; lucky for us she's decided to share.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Lifestyle Design Lifestyle Design Lifestyle Design