Friday 11 June 2010

29 Waist


My husband has other Levis 501's and these new ones are different in the weight of fabric ( light), fit(tighter in the leg and crotch) and color of stiching(white). Also the rivits and buttons are white instead of metal color. They also shrank when washed in cold water and line dried. Are these real Levis 501's or knock off's ?They are made in Mexico, his older ones are made in Colombia and are regular heavy fabric Levi 501 work pants. We are not happy with these pants but have already washed and used them. We would never order them again. Levi's Men's 501 Below The Waist Jean, Gothic, 29 32

I have been wearing Levi's 501 since I was 16 - which means that for 22 years I keep returning to the classic, and it always fits just right.

This is the first time I am ordering my jeans through Amazon - I am not a big fan of ordering cloths remotely without trying it on, but I thought what the hey, how can I go wrong with the classic 501. And indeed I got it just right, same old great blue jeans: enter levi's into the e-commerge age.

Bottom line - as great as ever, and now online.

Real 501's are made of 14 oz canvas-like material. These "Iconic Rigid" jeans are made of some sleazy, much lighter material that takes on a carefully contrived set of wrinkles to make them look like they'd been worn to bed soaking wet and dried out overnight. If you want real 501's stay away from these. I sent mine back right away.

Levi's Men's 501 Jean

Until this week, I had been wearing levis all my life and in recent years was only wearing 501's for all occasions. I buy many different colors for my various activites. Currently I have over 10 pairs that have never been worn because there is no quality control at Levi Strauss. Living out in the country it is too difficult and costs too much to send the items back in to Amazon. The 501's I have were made in Egypt, Mexico, Haiti and other various places. The labels all match in size however some of the jeans are at least a full size smaller at the waist and some of the pairs have the correct waist but very narrow legs. One last issue I have is that the material does not hold up. some of the 501's I bought in recent months rip after wearing them just a few times, some of the buttons come apart.

I have been wearing Levi 501 shrink-to-fit for at least 20 years. My advice re. buying online is don't. Here's why.



I hate to shop and normally just ask my wife to pick up some jeans when she's at the store. I know my size, and this has always worked. So, when internet shopping came into vogue, things were even easier. Until a couple of years ago. Starting then, my good old size started showing up too big, or too small, or wouldn't shrink right. Bottom line is that I wound up with several unusable pairs of jeans. So, I finally bit the bullet and made the trek to Macy's. Tried on 4-5 pairs of identically marked jeans and they were all over the map. Found a pair that fit. Washed them once and they turned into floods. Returned them and got another pair. Washed them and they're ok. So, I'm done with buying jeans online. And I'm probably done with Levi's.



I say "probably" because this assumes I can find anything any better. The market provides what the consumer demands, and apparently what the American consumer demands is cheap, useless junk. As other reviewers have observed, the current version of Levi's denim is shameful. Not only is it thin and non-wearing, but since it shrinks along one bias more than the other, it is important to orient the fabric in the machine correctly. Apparently, this is too much to ask. Ditto for getting either the waist or the leg to match the label.



Bottom line: My advice is, if you're going to buy Levi's, don't do it online. It just doesn't work.

If I had wanted blue burlap sack, I would have looked for it. Levi now thinks they can flog off any material on their customer. The last time I ordered these levis I got something in stripes that looked like I was escaped from prison. Now it is burlap! I will never order anything from Levi again until they come back to the original levi material. What complete junk. This product sucks.

These 501 jeans are really the only model of jeans that I have ever found that fit me, but the quality of them has certainly changed in the past year or so. This is the 3rd pair that I have bought from different places over the past few months. One made in Egypt, one made in Dominican Republic and this pair made in Mexico. They all have a very strange problem in common. The belt loop next to the label on the waist band has come apart on all 3 pair. This has happened on either the first or second wash. It is not like I am wearing them hard. I am not really putting any stress on them as they are loose on me and the belt is not pulling at the belt loop like I was bending and really working in them. It is very disappointing to have this happen to all of my new pairs when I have some pairs that are 6~10 years old that are in better shape than the brand new ones. Levis certainly lost their quality when they moved their production off shore. This is probably the last pair of their jeans that I will ever buy. I certainly hate to say that since I have been wearing this model since I was in elementary school. I have worked on my family's farm in them and put them through their paces in past years and they held up to my abuse and now they won't even stand up to a wash on the gentle cycle. I am very disappointed in this purchase.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


29 Waist 29 Waist 29 Waist