Sunday 11 January 2009

Woodworking - cut-off saw, milwaukee


i found this chop saw to be a great deal.it performed exactly as i expected a millwaukee power tool to do.i have been in the welding and fabrication buisiness for 23 years and also operate a mobile welding buisiness,so i demand quality performance out of my tools.the saw is very well built and very stable,i have had no problem cutting long pieces of angle iron,pipe and plate steel out in the field and at home.the vise held the steel securely and the motor had no problem handling the tasks at hand .after looking at at least six other brands i decided on the millwaukee for one ...the price and also the reliability of other millwaukee brand power tools i use. this saw is great for the weekend warrior,or the full time professional. Milwaukee 6176-20 15 Amp 14-Inch Abrasive Cutoff Machine

I love Milwaukee, however the problems I have with this chopsaw is the time consuming process of changing from 90 degree cuts to 45 degree cuts. The wrench that comes with it is weak. I usually have to dig out my socket set each time I want to change degree cuts. I think the handle could also be re designed to a perpendicular grip to the blade like the DeWalt chop saw. Finally, a better clamping system for angle iron would be an improvement- the metal wants to slip out of place regardless of how much you crank down on the clamp.

After shopping around, this machine is clearly built better than the rest. Others had cast aluminum or stamped beds, the Milwaukee is cast iron. My first job was cutting 10 foot sections of 3/16"x3" angle iron, the tool held them perfectly aligned and cut them smoothly in about 10 seconds. No wobble or runout. Also have cut some bricks with masonry blade with excellent results. Great tool, not much more $, why buy anything else. Only drawback; a little heavy to lug around for portable use, but that's the price for sturdiness.

I love this machine. I can't believe I wasted so many years with a hacksaw. Only had it a week, but so far it has worked perfectly on unistrut, rebar, steel tube, heavy-wall aluminum tube, and steel plate. I'm totally satisfied with it.

I bought this saw hoping to have the same reliability as the older models had. After 3 months of light use (first blade still), the switch hung up is the on position. It had been stiching on more than once but finally died. I went to the repair shop for warranty work on the tech said it would not be the last switch i'll put in this saw. He also said the saw is made by Ryobi. Buy the Makita instead.

I make steel sculpture & furniture. I've used mine to cut short lengths of 1/2" plate, lots of 1/4" x 2" bar, channel, angle iron, and rebar without a problem. Adjustments for different size stock are quick; for angles you need to use the wrench but, unlike others I've used, it holds the angle without slipping.

The stamped steel back half of the vise is not true vertical, so it's okay for 90° cuts. I needed 45° cuts on square stock and the cuts were oblique. I returned it and got the 6180-20 for $40 more. The base is cast aluminum and solid, but the vise is cast iron and therefore machined and square. The motor has more power, too, and the handle is a better orientation. It's worth the extra. Yes, of course it's made in China. Isn't everything?

I bought this chop saw having been a longtime customer of Milwaukee tools. The saw works well, but does not have the "fit and finish" that most loyal Milwaukee customers have come to expect. Careful inspection of the tool shows a "Made in Taiwan" label, which explains the relatively "cheap" appearance. The saw looks like a red off brand in construction with a cheap "Milwaukee" logo sticker on the blade guard...the name is not fabricated into the case like on most large Milwaukee tools. That being said, the saw has worked OK for me thus far, I have cut rod steel and angle iron of various sizes without any trouble, but the saw is only about 4 months old....we'll see how it does in the long term.

I have had this saw for about 5 months when I noticed a small crack on the left side of the arm (I have used 3 blades). I contacted Milwaukee, of course you need to send it in for evaluation to see if it would fall under the warranty.

I sent them some very clear pictures of the crack, explained it had not been moved since I took it out of the box and put it in the bench. Now I am left with the option of mailing it in, only to have them say "not covered" and then what, pay to get it shipped back? After going to one of the big hardware stores I looked at 4 different saws on the shelf and WOW, I was shocked at how thin the casting was on the Milwaukee saw, I can see why it cracked compared to the much better engineered arms. Just like every other company the "made in china" stands for how can we make this item as cheap as possible and get away with it.

I have had my saw for a couple years now and have not had a problem. Seems other people have had switch problems but mine has worked fine and I have gone through around 30 abrasive wheels. I was disapointed to find that milwaukee just stamped there name on a foriegn tool. This tool is not the quality I would expect from milwaukee, I think it is as good or better than any of the other entry level abrasive saws. If you want the best for your money I recomend milwaukees 6180-20, this is a nice saw. Another option is the dry cut saw which I'm upgradeing to but it is expensive. - Cut-off Saw - Milwaukee - Chop - Cutoff Saw'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Woodworking - cut-off saw, milwaukee chop Woodworking - cut-off saw, milwaukee