Monday 17 November 2008

Ice Cube Tray - amazon oddities, fun


Interesting product. Good idea. But for some strange reason these ice cubes melt quicker than ice cubes made in the "regular" ice cube trays. The "jewel" shape doesn't last very long either even with a beverage that's already chilled. Got a cheaper "shaped" ice cube tray at Ikea. Fred Cool Jewels Ice Cube Tray

I was in the market for some silicone ice cube trays and when I saw these Cool Jewels, I had to try them out. Their "neatness" factor is awesome, but unfortunately their "usefulness" factor is below average.



Do not buy these if you want a ice tray - the cubes are too small (melt quick) and since it's a wobbly silicone tray with many jewels that require a fill to the top, it's sort of messy. You're better off just buying the straight square silicone trays.



Do buy these if you want a novelty item to plink into guests' drink glasses. However, since these are pretty small and melt quick, you'll probably be buying quite a few trays.



It should also be noted that in order to get the perfectly clear ice cubes as shown in the pictures, you've got to move the water around every once and a while so that the air bubbles don't get trapped in the forming cube and cause the white spots. In other words, expect your diamond cubes to have some pretty visible flaws.

I didn't buy this product for making ice cubes; I bought it for molding plastic resin for making jewelery/magnets/etc.



As far as that goes, they worked, OK, not great, but OK. I think even for ice cubes their shape would cause issues. The fact that the molds get smaller at the top makes it really difficult to get the pieces out. Not horrible, but for craft use they're not my #1 choice of mold to pick when choosing what to make.

I've been collecting ice cube trays and things for my new Jelly Shot obsession Jelly Shot Test Kitchen: Jell-ing Classic Cocktails-One Drink at a Time...these make perfect jelly shots....imagine them jewel-toned and plated like a pile of treasure. Awesome!

When I ordered this, I was expecting the reusable plastic ice cubes. Initially I was disappointed that it was a tray but turns out the other plastic reusable ones I got were not all that great, so I am happier with these. The tray is soft and molds the jewels well. Works great, but better for special occasions rather than everyday use. Recommend. - Fun - Fred - Jewels - Amazon Oddities'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Ice Cube Tray - amazon oddities, fun fun Ice Cube Tray - amazon oddities, fun