Monday 17 November 2008

Computer Accessories


What's to say... it's an anti-static wrist strap! Basically it is put around your wrist while working inside your computer and cliped to an unpainted metal surface. What that does is ground you so that you wont accidentally zap your computer's motherboard or delicate electronics with a static discharge. If you work inside your PC a lot this is very nice to have, though not 100% necessarry (just touching a metal surface every now and then will work too). Don't ignore the danger static charge poses to your computer's inards. A spark of static contains several thousand volts of electricity and will easily burn out the circuitry of your expensive envestment of a computer. This is especially true if you live in a dy climate or have carpet, or otherwise are more prone to static build up. Take my word for it, it only has to happen once and your $1000 Computeing behemoth becomes one very expensive and unfashionable paper wieght.A strap like this is advisable to any who work on thier computers often or who live in static prone areas. This particular one is pretty good (they're all mostly the same). Only real complaint is that I wish the wrist band had been elastic instead of velcro. Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band with Adjustable Grounding

The Anti-static strap is a necessity for any guru computer user who opens up the comp. case often. Static can damage components, so you either have to touch the case every minute or so, or take the clip portion of the static band and hook it to the case. It fits quite comfortably around the wrist and it's cord expands to about double it's original size, and the wrist strap and the cord disconnect with a snap. Overall, it's a good investment, considering the price is significantly less then the components you might damage.

I work on a laptop while walking on a treadmill, and since in the winter the air gets drier, I was getting and giving shocks to my laptop (usually via the fingerprint sensor but also through the plastic body or keys I think) every few minutes. So I surfed over to Amazon while on the treadmill, ordered this perfect solution, and a couple days later when it arrived (I was on the treadmill then too), I got some picture wire, wrapped it around the metal arm and secured it by sticking it under the shelves that make up my "treadmill desk", attached the alligator clip to the wire, put on the strap - which is easy to do even while walking with hands in front of me - and snapped the grommet into the strap's receptacle. Result: no more shocks, ever - as long as I remember to put on the strap. No shock the first time I snap in, either.



Pros:

* snap it in and forget about it - the small-diameter coils give plenty (3 feet) of stretch, and give enough warning if I forget to take it off before running for the phone

* no more shocks

* attractive raincoat yellow against black strap

* easy to attach strap due to just enough stiffness

* easy to snap in and out



Cons:

* the strap is pretty comfortable, but it is a simple length of velcro; the part against my wrist is smooth but it could be a tad more comfortable - but this is not an issue, just a nice-to-have. I took off one star (4 total) for comfort but kept the 5 stars overall.

I used this band in my recent PC build. I used very expensive components so I wanted to be protected against static electricity. I can report that while using this Band, I didn't have any incidents of static electricity discharge, which means it worked! It is very comfortable on the wrist, I can say that because I have a very wide wrist and still it was very easy to wear. The design is very good as you just connect the clip to a bare metal area on the computer chassis and the cord can extend long enough as to allow you freedom of movement to get parts and work in the computer without problems. Highly Recommended!

Hence the reason you can't read continuity with your multi-meter.

But you should be able to read and measure this resistance.

This isn't sign of a broken product.

This resistor has to be there for proper and safe function.

Google anti static wrist strap and read the Wikipedia link and you will find out how it's designed to operate.

The band is reasonably well made for the price, and is suitable for moderate use. It could be just a few inches longer, but is not bad. 17.5 inches not stretched, 44 inches at a reasonable stretch. The stretching has a little tougher pull than I would prefer, but is not bad. The wrist band is not elastic, which some may prefer. It fastens by a metal loop and Velcro strap, which can be a little of a nuisance to put on. If they made the metal loop 1/8 inch wider to allow the strap to pass through it easier, it would be better. The alligator clip can be removed, leaving an elongated pin that can be inserted into the ground hole of an outlet. Where the wire snaps to the wrist strap, the snap attaches and detaches easily. The snap rotates freely without any hangups. The usual 1 megohm resistance.

I bought it because i wanted to be sure that none of the components get damaged by my body static. I have built 3 computers so far, and none damaged component. Just think about it, you have hundreds and hundres of dollars on PC components, why not protect them with a $ 6 wrist band???...Great product...'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Computer Accessories Computer Accessories Computer Accessories