Monday 17 November 2008

Backpacking Saw - cheap


I purchased one of these saws elsewhere online, sight unseen, although I could not find reviews for it. My mistake. In an effort to keep others from making a similar one, I decided to post this review.



This is a cheap copy of an ARS Professional series pruning saw. While the body of the saw is ok, the blade is junk. It is only a piece of stainless with the teeth punched out and folded over to create an alternating bevel. In the process they managed to bend most of the tips of the teeth over. Result - this saw doesn't cut jack. It shreds more than anything else. I have two dollar saws from Harbor Freight that cut ten times better than this.



I emailed SOG with my concerns; after several weeks I have yet to get any kind of response (not surprised). I was very disappointed to get such a low quality piece of junk with their name etched in the blade. It's the last piece of gear I buy with their name on it.



As I have to pay return shipping cross country to get a refund, it's not worth the time or trouble. I bought this as a piece of camping/survival gear; if I had to depend on this saw to save my life, I'd be dead. It's going in the trash, although I might be able to use the nylon sheath it came with.



I did ultimately buy an ARS professional series folding pruning saw, at about 3 times the price - and it's worth every penny. Made in Japan, triple ground, induction hardened teeth. The body is cast metal. Cuts on the pull stroke, which I have grown to prefer - more controllable. Took all of four pulls to cut through a 1 inch piece of hardwood - and the ends looked like they had been sanded.



If you want to hang something on the wall, buy this SOG F-10 folding saw. If you want a saw that will actually cut wood exceptionally well, buy an ARS folding pruning saw. You won't be disappointed. The optional leather sheath offered with the ARS saw is a beautiful piece of work, and also recommended. SOG Specialty Knives and Tools F10-N Folding Saw

This was my first folding style saw and i was very disappointed in sog with there work on this. There blade is flimsy and seems cheap even for a folding saw. Rather than saw through wood it seems to grind through it which makes you spend more energy than you should. Unlike most other sog products i own i would not recommend this.

This just simply isn't a super product. I have other SOG products that I really like and function well, but this tool just doesn't cut it for me. The blade is flimsy and tends to come loose, so I have to re-tighten it every now and then even if I don't use it! It's also pretty difficult to use, requiring a lot of work to cut through small branches.



Overall, I would not recommend. - Cheap'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Backpacking Saw - cheap cheap Backpacking Saw - cheap