Tuesday 11 October 2011

Wireless - airport express, griffin


I would have given 5 stars but was very annoyed when the cable kept falling out of its attachment. I found a way to twist it around the chrome bit that sticks out the back.However, the signal seems to be so much better as the room my Power Mac G5 is in sits down the hall and around a corner. The airport extreme sits high on a cabinet in the room of the Mac and really didn't work well with itunes giving a signal to my home stereos system, now it is a joy to hear all my itunes so far away uninterrupted. I'm always impressed with Griffin, but disappointed the cable was loose. Griffin 1092-XPRSD AirBase/Desktop Stand for Airport Express

The Griffin AirBase is an accessory stand for Apple's AirPort Express portable WiFi base station.



Apple makes the AirPort Express as simple and portable as possible. The Express plugs directly into a wall outlet (as you would a PowerBook's AC adaptor brick). You then connect your internet source via ethernet cable, and a printer and music speakers via USB and 3.5mm jacks respectively. It has one multicolor status light showing the AirPort's readiness and network activity. The downside is that wall outlets are not always at the best height or orientation to facilitate optimal Wifi reception. Additionally, if the wall outlet is hidden behind furniture, the status light can be obscured.



Like many Apple products, the Airport Express boasts artful, elegant industrial design. Griffin Technology's AirBase is the perfect compliment to the AirPort Express. It's design and craftsmanship rivals Apple's and it integrates seamlessly with the Express. To use: simply pull-off the Express's AC prong module, and slide the Express into the AirBase's socket. The express stands on the diagonal with the cables routing from the back, and the status light showing at front. The AirBase has a chromed metal lower half, reminiscent of the back of an iPod. The bottom sports an inset, non-slip rubber pad. In addition to looking nice, the metal base adds weight and prevents movement (say, from tugging cables). The back of the AirBase also has a matching chromed arch to pass the cables through. Making for elegant cable routing.



As for the esthetic: The AirBase/AirPort Express combo is beautiful. This alone may not be enough to encourage you to buy. But before I used the AirBase, I was unable to receive a strong Wifi signal in the outer-most rooms in my house. The AirBase raised the Express to table height and allows for rotating the Express until the optimal reception is achieved. It raised my Powerbook's signal from one-or-two 'bars' before, to four-or-five bars with the AirBase. This boost is equivalent to what I experienced when I tried an amplified antenna with my Airport Extreme base station (I now have the Extreme on one floor and the Express on another in a WDS configuration). The only quality issue I had found was the AirBase's AC cord comes unplugged from the AirBase rather easily. I attribute this more to the quality of the cord's end than the base's power port. Also, more trivially, when the Express is attached to the AirBase, the Apple logo on the Express is upside down. A pair of Grey on white stickers would solve this nicely.



Griffin Technology's AirBase is heartedly recommended to anyone with an AirPort Express.

This product is phenomenal and is designed extremely well. Prior to purchasing this very reasonably priced accessory, my AirPort Express unit was on the floor under my computer desk. Since the antenna in my desktop Mac was in the front of the CPU, which was on my desktop, the location of the AirPort wasn't ideal. With the AirBase, I was able to plug in my AirPort Express unit and move it to my desktop...within a couple inches of the antenna in the CPU. This really helped improve the wireless signal and range. The styling of the AirBase is way cool, too. Very Apple like. And the weighted base ensures that it will STAY on your desktop or entertainment center. One note to the reviewer who complained that the cable was loose when she plugged it into her AirBase: If you're talking about the cable that supplies the power to the AirBase, just try pushing it in harder (you have to push it pretty hard). When I first hooked up my AirBase to my AirPort Express, I too was bummed because the power cord seemed loose and the power actually would cut in and out. I was almost to the point of wanting to return it, but thought I must be doing something wrong. I just pushed harder on the power plug that goes into the AirBase and voila...the cord went in about 1/8" further and locked firmly into place. Problem solved. Trust me...if you have an AirPort Express, you should have an AirBase. I can't imagine life without it!!!

An ingenious little device I'm surprised Apple didn't come up with themselves. However the one indication that Apple did not make it is the wiggle in the connection to the base. If you wiggle the AirPort block a little too much one way or the other you might loose power. Granted, this base is designed to sit there so it should not be an issue for most users. I did not have problems with the base's power cord staying in; mine was very snug.



If you do not like exposed wires you should know that if you are using the WAN port, Audio jack, and/or the printer USB connection the wires will stick out a bit up and backward. This is especially true for the audio cable. If you're REALLY particular about how this looks, you might want to consider an audio cable with a small right angle plug and white cables all around to match the AirPort.



My one suggestion is it would have been nice if they had designed a little notch to store the 2-prong plug that you have to remove from the AirPort to fit it in the base. - Mac - Apple - Griffin - Airport Express'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information