Wednesday 12 October 2011

Staple Remover


I am a big fan of the push-style remover (like this one: Stanley Bostitch Ergonomic Remover) but this one intrigued me, so I tried it. Unfortunately, I don't really like it.



Unlike the push-style, the larger format of this remover makes it harder to get the tip under the staple in order to remove it. It also makes it harder to actually remove the staple, as the entire width of the remover presses down on the paper (and kind of wrinkles the paper in the process) and you seem to have to keep pushing the tab farther under the staple as it works its way loose. It does work, but definitely not as smoothly as I was expecting.



I also assumed this remover would work like other removers, in that the removed staples would stay attached (in some way) for disposal at a later time. Unfortunately, they don't. There is a sticker on the remover that says "Built-in Magnetic Staple Collector" which I thought was going to be the solution, except that the staples don't go INTO the remover in any way (like I thought they would). Instead, one corner of the remover is magnetized, so you have to wave it over the removed staple (where it landed on your desk after removal) in order to "grab" it--and then you still have to do something with it (unlike the push-style remover, which collects and holds a bunch of removed staples until you purposefully empty the whole thing/pull them all off).



This product claims it's safer for kids...and in a sense I can see that since there are no sharp points. But I think the fact that the staples don't get collected anywhere negates the "safety" aspects of the remover.



I would not buy this product again, and in fact I am now shopping for a push-style remover. Pencil Grip The Classics Easy Touch Staple Remover, Assorted Colors (TPG-141)

As a previous reviewer mentioned, this remover damages the paper as it pulls the staple. While it works great for removing staples tacked to the wall, it does not work for staples in paper. The damage to the paper is comparable to the damage one might make ripping the staple out by hand.

I purchased several of these to give away as gifts. It is the best staple remover ever. It's easy to use and the staples are removed very cleanly...no tearing of paper. When you press down on the handle, the handle pivots and the staple comes out easily. This item is very well made.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Staple Remover Staple Remover Staple Remover