Wednesday 12 October 2011

High Performance - internet, broadband


My Motorola Surfboard would come and go. It was not dependable. So I trotted down to OfficeMax and bought this Linksys modem. It was a snap it install. No software needed unless you use it with USB, which I don't.



I called Cox and gave them the numbers off the box and was online fast. No more being knocked off when I least expect it. In fact, I haven't been knocked off at all.



This is a great modem. I use it with a Linksys N router and Cox Communications.



Not much you can say about a modem. It either keeps you online or not. This one does.



Highly recommended.



-Susanna K. Hutcheson Cisco-Linksys Cable Modem with Ethernet USB Connection

Though there was nothing fundamentally wrong with my old Linksys BEFCMU10 V2, we were just not getting anywhere near the speeds claimed by Comcast on the eastside - only got up to 5000kbps down and 1100 up (speedtest.net) - eventually had a tech come out to check all connections and redo splitters - he recommended a CM upgrade tho I believed a CM is a CM... So we splashed out on the latest 4x4 inch baby from Cisco/Linksys.

Installation and advising Comcast of the new MAC address took minutes tho one would think there would be an easier way than calling a call center?

The change was nothing short of DRAMATIC. Our speedtest.net speed went to 31000kbps down and 3000 up (little less in evening). I can't really see a 6-fold improvement in average browsing, but the local bottleneck is now gone and now dependent on the multiple websites and jump servers' performance.

As both old and new modems are docsis 2.0 I NEVER expected this kind of improvement and consider it $$ well spent. Btw, it's matched with a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router. Another btw - there's no direct link between the speedtest speed results and the actual kbps you see when you download a file - the latter depends on the website and other intermediate architecture. Last btw - the USB connection is Not for external storage like routers have, it's an alternative way (to the ethernet connection) to connect the CM100 to your PC (havent quite worked that one out - guess there must be some mobile PCs that dont have CAT5 connections or can one use them simultaneously to 2 PCs?)

Linksys CM100 Cable Modem with USB and Ethernet ConnectionsAfter reading the discussions regarding this modem at Amazon.com, I purchased one to replace my rental unit from Charter. Not being a techie, I was a bit hesitant to do so. Well, was I surprised how easily it was to set up and get operational! After taking my router out of the loop, I followed the quick set up guide, connecting the modem directly to the computer thru the ethernet connection. Then, with the computer on, the Charter website came up and guided me thru the MAC address switch. Never did have to call Charter tech support. I was on the web within 10 minutes. My Linksys WRT54GL router accepted this modem without a glitch, although the Linksys Easy Setup Advisor apparently didn't recognize the new system until I turned the computer off, then back on. Download speeds are about the same, upload speeds are about 4 times faster, according to the Speedtest.net results. To any Charter subscribers, at least here in Michigan, I highly recommend this cable modem. For any non techie, trying to get away from endless cable modem rental fees, as I was, I recommend this device for ease of installation.

When COMCAST decided to increase their cable modem rental fee 66% in November, to $5/month, I decided to do something about it. This $68 Linksys Cable Modem, Model CM100, is exactly what you need. You can check on the COMCAST website for a whole list of compatible modems. I decided on this one since I have a Linksys router (WRT54G).



This installation is very simple. Remove the COMCAST modem. Someone in another review said you need to remove your router temporarily for this installation, so I did that and connected the CM100 directly to the ethernet connector on the computer. Once you did that, you need to call COMCAST and give them the S/N and the MAC Address, both of which are printed on the bottom of the Linksys CM100 unit. They enter your new info in their system and you are up and running. It really is as simple as that.



You can then go ahead and reconnect your router. I found I had to power off/on the CM100, router, and computer and I no longer have to pay COMCAST monthly.

I got CM100 last week. I am living in Boston area and my ISP is Comcast. It is working excellent (DN 18~19Mbps, UP 7Mbps, by Speakeasy Speed Test), hooked up with my Mac PowerBook G4 (OS-X 10.4) through a new Airport Express, without any problem. The CD that comes with the modem contains softwares only for Windows, so I cannot use USB connection. But it does not matter for me because I only use Ethernet.



The only problem I experienced was that when I first called the Comcast Customer Service and told them the modem's MAC address and S/N, it was somehow registered wrongly and it did not work. (English is my second language and it may be because of my language barrier, but I am not sure...) Finally, I called a Tech to come over to my place and he found out that one digit of S/N registered to Comcast was wrong. Maybe he did something else to fix my problem, but I do not know. He told me that it was the only problem they found... So, be careful when you register your modem with your ISP. - Home Network - Internet - Broadband - Linksys'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information