Wednesday 12 October 2011

Cappuccino - coffee, coffee maker


Makes better espresso then most of the espresso shops here in Java Town, Seattle. It also costs about ten times less then an espresso machine that probably won't make as good coffee, and eventualy will need repair. Bialetti has been making these things since the dawn of time and have it down to a science.



A few tips:

1. Grind coffee between medium and fine.

2. Don't pack coffee into basket like you do in an espresso machine.

3. Heat between medium and high heat.

4. Be careful not to have the handle be over the burner of flame.

5. NEVER WASH THE POT WITH DETERGENT. JUST RINSE AND DRY. The more you use the pot,the better the coffee becomes.

6. Before using for the first time season the pot. Make a pot of weak coffee and discard it.



When visiting my friend in Italy, she served us the most amazing espresso -- made in a Moka Bialetti (which is, she tells me, what virtually ALL Italians use at home!) So of course I had to buy one when I got back to the USA. I agree w/all the previous reviews -- it is simple, inexpensive, even fun to use! The instructions that came with it are nearly indecipherable so here's my summary (of course you'll want to rinse all the parts in plain water, no soap, before use):

1. Fill the bottom part w/water up to (not over) the steam valve

2. Put the middle section in, fill w/ground espresso (it is finer than regular American coffee). But don't overfill or pack down.

3. Carefully screw on the top, and place directly on a gas stove, use the smallest burner on medium heat - be sure there is NO flame coming up around the moka (that would melt off the handle). I'm sure you can use electric, too, I just haven't tried it.

4. You'll hear the coffee percolating in about 5 min or so -- when lots of steam comes out, you'll know it's ready. Feel free to carefully pop the lid to peek while it's percolating -- it's kind of cool, actually.

5. Enjoy! If you're going to make a second pot, be aware the pot will be VERY hot, so give it a time to cool before touching the metal.

6. Cleanup: When it cools, take it completely apart and RINSE all parts, making sure they are all DRY before putting the moka away. Do NOT use soap, and by all means, do NOT use a dishwasher!!!!!



Some other tips to keep in mind:

This is called a 3-cup pot, but: 3 Espresso "cups" = 2 tiny espresso cups full = less than ONE actual CUP of liquid. The whole pot makes MAYBE 6 ounces, really. Espresso is concentrated, meant to be savored and enjoyed in sips, not gulped out of a jumbo American mug. To me this is the symbolic difference b/t the European and the American lifestyle! For one or two people, the 3-cup pot is just right. For a crowd, or for die-hard caffiene junkies, you'll want a larger pot.

Because the espresso is so concentrated, it lends itself to many uses. Yes, lattes, as a previous reviewer mentioned. Cappuccinos as well, of course. You can even just add hot water to make a still-strong full sized American mug of coffee. I have been known to throw the hot espresso over a cup of ice for an instant iced coffee. If you like to make blended coffee drinks, this stuff will stand up to the ice cubes and not get too diluted.

The first pot you brew will NOT be good (I tossed the first one), the second slightly better, etc. The seasoning is necessary to get the best flavor. This morning, about my 7th time using it, my husband and I looked at each other and said, This is it! It finally tastes GREAT. I use the Lavazza brand, purchased from a local Italian market, but I know Illy is popular too, both in Italy and here.

Treat it with care, and this little guy will make you simple, excellent, inexpensive espresso coffee for many years to come.

I bought this espresso maker about a week ago at the suggestion of my cousin who lives in Italy. Also bought a milk frother from Ikea ($2.99), some Illy espresso (2 pack for $25) and vanilla-flavored syrup from Starbucks with pump ($7). I have been drinking the yummiest vanilla lattes every morning. Takes a couple of minutes to make and they are delicious. Why the heck was I spending so much money at Starbucks everyday for all those years?! (By the way, my Italian cousin says never to refrigerate the espresso coffee. Just keep it on the counter.)

I love this espresso maker. I use it every single day. It makes a perfect double espresso, so it's great for having a fresh macchiato in the morning with my breakfast. It's cheap, simple, easy to clean, and the only way to break it is to put it on the stove with no water in it. Don't do that. Really. :)

Visited Italy last summer and saw this pot on a few stoves, and used it every morning in the apartment I stayed at. I loved it there so immediately bought this upon my return, and it hasn't disappointed.



This little guy pays for itself within a week. That $4 latte you like having every morning? Make it at home. Some tips/thoughts/etc:



1) I only really fully clean this every other week or so. I quickly rinse it out before every use and make sure the threads are clean - if they get gunky, you'll notice some steam coming out during brewing.

2) I had used a grind from the coffee shops 'doser' (the thing they use to grind for espressos), but I like what I do at home a bit better -- it's just a hair more course than the doser. I use a Hario manual hand grinder, btw.

3) I place on medium/high heat. Works with electric or gas. Just make sure the burners aren't too wide for bottom of moka (I use the back, smaller burner).

4) It takes 4-5 minutes. When I see it bubbling, I pop my mug of milk in the microwave for a minute to heat the milk. When that's done, I whip it up into a slight foam using a small electric wand from IKEA ($2 or so).

5) After about 5 minutes, you'll hear the pot bubbling. If you've been watching it brew, you'll want to put the lid down before this point, as it will spew over your stove top.

6) add it to your milk. This makes about what is a double-shot here in the states.

7) last thing: stay away from pre-ground stuff from the grocery store. Either have your shop grind it or buy a grinder and do it at home. I have noticed a huge difference in taste.



I got this for a friend who had just received a $300 espresso machine. Guess which one he uses every morning. :) Yup, this one.



[NOTE: this is the review for the 3-cup version] - Espresso - Coffee - Coffee Maker - Stovetop Espresso Pots - Latte - Bialetti'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information