Monday 19 September 2011

Wall Plate - wall plate, home theater


I really like being able to buy two recessed cable plates and two low-voltage mounting brackets in a single kit form.



Overall, the product was easy to install and looks great. My only issue is with the metal mounting brackets. These brackets are secured in the wall by three bendable tabs that are designed to be tightened with sharply threaded drywall screws. The three-tab arrangement would be fine for other low-voltage applications such as A/V connections, TV cable jacks, etc., but for this application where cables are intended to move through the bracket, sliding behind the wall to another bracket, the sharp drywall screws threaten to shred the cables, making these brackets a poor match for the intended application.



There are plastic brackets available that have a moveable flap drawn toward to back of the wall with a small bolt that would not shred the cables in the finished installation, and I wish that the kit had come with these instead. Here's a link to brackets I would recommend instead (I have used the single-gang version of this bracket for a coaxial cable faceplate): Dual Gang Low Voltage Mounting Bracket



I ended up using the screws to tighten the metal brackets to the wall, removing the screws afterwards, but one of my thinner cables still got snagged on the metal tabs when I pulled it through.



Overall, I'm pleased with the look of the finished installation, but I would recommend buying the parts separately in order to get the plastic mounting brackets (even if it costs more). Datacomm 50-3332-WH-KIT Flat Panel TV Cable Organizer Kit (White)

I saw a video on the Datacomm website of a woman installing these. She explained it so well and in great detail, that I decided to purchase them. I'm glad I did. I looked at home improvement stores and they were a lot more since they sold them individually. They were even easier to install than I originally thought and they look great.

This is the best idea ever. It gives our wall a very clean look and will definitely help when we decide to sell the house in the future. I have been to many houses where the cables are just hanging or the owners try to hide it with on of those plastic wire tracks but having no trace of wires is the best look you can get. Sure, you can always just cut holes in the wall and shove the cables in without these plastic housings and it would have the same look, but it's ugly and unprofessional and can be problematic when you decide to sell your house.



Go check YouTube for the installation. The metal pieces that comes in the kit makes this very sturdy, when you screw the metal pieces in it actually tightens and holds onto the drywall, then the plastic piece connects to that so it is 100% secure.

Great and easy to install. Just watch out for whats behind your walls. I had to drill due to a floor/ceiling half way between the two outlets. If you have an open bay yours will be much easier. looks awesome. - Wall Plate - Home Theater'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information