Monday 19 September 2011

Cyberpower Ups - avr, battery backup


This is the exact product I've been looking for to protect my extensive (and expensive) Mac computer set-up. It's straightforward and easy to install. I had two sudden power outages last week and the APC worked so seamlessly I didn't realize at first that the power had gone out. The APC gave me plenty of time to finish the work I was doing and shut down my whole system. Definitely recommended. APC BR1000G 600 Watts/1000 VA, Input 120V/Output 120V Power-Saving Back-UPS RS

I have this unit, and the 1500 VA model from the same series. The 1500 VA unit has a LOUD fan that runs (1) when you first install (2) when on backup and (3) when trickle charging the battery as the unit periodically does. Too loud.



The 1000VA unit is totally quiet so far.



It backs up an I7-920 based gaming PC and monitor. No problems with that. (no strange "pure-sine-wave" issues like some PCs have). The UPS has a stepped sine wave, but that does the job.



The display shows power usage. I previously used a 'save-a-watt' meter. I prefer the UPS's built in display.



Net, I liket he UPS.

Had this for several months and am totally satisfied. Passed 2 blackout test without so much as a click-clack and my work was totally uninterrupted.



Has a front blue LCD screen that can be left permanently on or pressed and will stay on for 60 seconds.



I only use the LCD screen occasionally to monitor the electrical power from the utility and how much power the computer\screen is consuming. Many other readings are available and they could come in handy if you have to rely solely on the UPS should there be a software or PowerChute failure.



The PowerChute comes with many monitoring and operating features most people would want. I do not agree with their "green" CO monitor and think they have been hoodwinked by the enviro-mental list.



The power and indicator buttons are correctly placed. I learned how irritating it can be to grab a popular competitor's UPS and accidentally knock the whole system offline by a clumsily placed power button. Happened twice, btw.



As usual, it seems well-engineered and APC is the only UPS that inspires my confidence as an uninterrupted power supply. You pay a little more, though.



Some caveats:



Did not come with the CD to install software even though the manual indicated it did. Confused and irritated I contacted tech support and found you had to dig down into their website and find the correct program and download it. No CD is included.



It is surprisingly shipped in a plain brown box with black print.



The software keeps asking whenever you reboot Windows to be loaded on startup and there seems to be no option to let it automatically be loaded on without asking. A minor annoyance.



Even thought tech support say the RJ-45 would work on a phone line, it does not! It really is for ethernet. I learned this the hard way. No damage, but I didn't know it makes your phone work incorrectly. Good to know my mother-in-law couldn't get to me. Just kidding!

I just purchased the subject APC BR1000G hardware yesterday to protect my MAC equipment. So far I believe the APC to be a quality product. I would have rated it five stars except for one very annoying issue.

My beef is that nowhere in the APC directions/owner's manual does it say you don't have to download and install software to make this product work with the Mac OS X. The front page of the APC owner's manual says to download the PowerChute Personal Edition software from the following site: [...] However, when you go to that site you will find that they only offer software for all the various PC operating systems--nothing about MAC OS versions. There is no mention of the fact that when Apple released native UPS support back in the early days of Mac OS X Tiger 10.4, the need to run PowerChute Personal Edition in its current form effectively ended. I had to spend an hour messing around in the APC web site and in Google before I finally learned about that fact at the following APC Discussion Forum site:

[...]

That information was posted Sep 8, 2008, so there's been enough time for APC to update their owner's manual (currently dated 12/2009) as well as their web site. Hopefully this will save some of you the time and frustration I experienced.

We use these at each workstation in an architectural office. 30% usage & 30min est run time, with typical dual 24" lcd monitors, single processor, dual hardrive, mid level 3d graphics cards. My non scientific observation is that we tend to have fewer issues and longer life from our electronics when connected to a ups that provides line conditioning for electrical noise and voltage fluctuations. Also our electrical panel is in a public area of the building and occasionally you get some knuckle head who will switch off the wrong breaker. This unit has performed as advertised, the software install was flawless on both Windows 7 64bit workstations and an older Windows XP 32 bit machine. - Surge Protector - Avr - Apc - Battery Backup'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information