Monday 19 September 2011

Arctic Silver - heatsink, arctic silver


This applies cleanly unlike the paste that came with my heatsink, and worked well. My CPU temp is below my chipset temp which is all one can really ask for.



Oh since it doesn't come with directions you will either need to know how to apply it or look up how to apply thermal grease. It is all over the web, but a fairly basic to do it is:

Clean both surfaces as best as you can with something plastic, then to draw a line with the grease like with icing horizontally (well in general with the USB stuff pointing out back to the left, or if you want to be technical orient so that the notched corner is on your lower right). Just a single line from about 15% in to 85% from the edge (or valley) of the top. That won't give you the lowest temps but it should cover even intel quad cores fine, and give you decent temps. Your mileage ma vary of courese. See the web for more precise details. StarTech.com 1.5g Metal Oxide Thermal CPU Paste Compound Tube for Heatsink SILVGREASE1 (Silver)

I like this one due to the plunger applicator rather than a tube. Plus you don't get a large amount so don't pay a ton for this one versus a large tube many other places sell you. How often can you use this stuff anyway. There you go, works as advertised and is still enough to do several heat-sink installations without waste.

This isn't a high performance conductive paste. It's slightly better than the stock white heat sink grease but not on a par with the more expensive silver compounds. I am not unhappy with this purchase.

My Toshiba Satellite lap-top was restarting without warning. Figured out it was because of over-heating. I hated the constant re-starting but i think it actually saved my chip from frying due to heating. Great technology! Thanks Intel and M$ for standardizing this!



Anyways the thermal grease comes in a no-nonsense easy to apply syringe. There was enough quantity in the tube to more than sufficiently cover the chip. In fact, i used less than a quarter and had to remove some to ensure it didn't spread over to the pins. I don't think instructions are needed for this! spread like butter and ensure an even coat with no air pockets... used a butter knife for the complex operation ;)



Happy to report that laptop is working great after using this!

Just make sure you make a good aplication of this product on the CPU. On youtube you can find tutorials for doing this, I like to use the line method, that is, to put silver grease as it was a grain of rice, a line of 6 milimiter long by 2 mm thick in the center of CPU, thats all you need. Putting on the heatsink will handle the grease spread. Using this method I got my intel e8400 core 2 duo working at 48°C/118°F. Nothing else to say.

For the price it's pretty decent. Does what it does nicely. Bought it for a cheap socket 775 sink and 3.33Ghz Celeron D processor. Temp. at cold start is around 35C, while under load it's about 40~50C. It should keep your low end CPU nice and cool.



The tube is surprisingly small, smaller than your little finger, so that's 1.5g for ya. For this tiny thing, the shipping fee is just outrageous. It's probably best you buy one from your local hardware retail store, save the shipping fee.

I had build an AMD FX62 system, about a year ago for my son, with an CPU over heat problem. It's a fast machine, and the problem does not happen often, but if I ran applications that were using 100% CPU for more than 10 minutes: the CPU would overheat and shut down the computer. I bought the product from Amazon and then I had a week of 'I am using the computer dad, you can't have it'. So I forgot about it. Last week came a desperate plea, my computer is shutting down all the time. It seems he had acquired some malware that was ramping-up the CPU to 100% all the time. Suddenly dad was important again!



I took the heatsink from the CPU off, took off the old thermal grease and replaced it with Silver Grease and I have not had any problems with over-heating since. I highly recommend this product.

This stuff is only 25% silver, and while it does an ok job, I'm getting nearly 8 degrees centigrade lower readings with Arctic Silver 5. On something as sensitive as your computer, it's more than worth the extra few dollars (and lack of Amazon Prime) for AS 5. - Cpu Cooling - Heatsink - Arctic Silver - Intel'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information