Wednesday 28 September 2011

Underwater Photography - canon digital camera, water proof case


Bought the case in anticipation of our trip to Mexico because I wanted an entry level camera to take scuba diving w/ me. I had tested the camera out in the pool first with no problems whatsoever and christened the case (without the camera at first; a must for every camera case) on a 100 foot deep dive. The case held up great (though it was really buoyant without the camera in it). I ended up leaving my SD1100 in the housing for most of the vacation. I took it in the pool, snorkeling w/ Sea Turtles, on several scuba dives, jumped into cenotes (mexican fresh water sink holes) from a height of about 17 feet with it and used it extensively playing in the water on the beach with the kids. It was awesome shooting video while scuba diving too. The dive shop we used sends out an underwater videographer who puts together a video for you to buy. I liked shooting my own video much better.

I see that they sell weights to go w/ the case. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. With the camera in the housing, the case became only slightly positively buoyant. This is a plus in my opinion as I can go after something that floats up, but would be really upset to see my SD1100 and $170 case head south to crush depth.

Couple of reminders. As with any piece of dive gear (and I consider this housing to be such), you have to follow some simple rules. Every time I put the camera in, I would check the O ring for debri. I've read reviews where people had poor results and I can garantee, if you have a break in the seal, you will get water penetration. I also keep a silica packet in the case at all times. I read about condensation occurring and this will be as a result of either trapped humidity in the case (definately easy to do in the tropics) or wide temperature differences between the air in the case and the ambient air temperature.

One note though. Remember that without a real good sized external flash that almost most underwater pictures will be dominated by the blue tones and colors, so set your expectations accordingly. You won't be taking National Geographic pictures with this camera underwater.

In the end, I returned from my vacation w/ tons of photos that would have beeen impossible w/out this case. A fantastic addition to my camera gear. LOVE IT! Canon WP-DC22 Waterproof Case for Canon PowerShot SD1100IS Digital Elph

I used this case on my camera when I went to Hawaii this last summer. I purchased it for the intention of going scuba diving, but that didn't pan out. I took it snorkeling a couple of times and it worked like a charm. I took some really wonderful pictures and movies and it was fantastic. It takes some getting used to because it is pretty large compared to the actually camera.



PLEASE BE CAREFUL though, my Fiancé wanted to go snorkeling with the turtles in Oahu so we went out into the water and the visibility in the water wasn't very good and there were rocks in the water. I accidentally bumped into a rock and this cause the seal to loosen allowing water to get into the case. I noticed this when I held up the camera and there was condensation inside. It was my error that caused the leak and ultimately broke the camera so just be careful when you are snorkeling/scuba diving/rough housing.

Took this to Kona when I went snorkeling. I was a little nervous about my camera getting ruined. Nothing to worry about! Got incredible pictures and neck strap made this easy to keep in the water with me. Definitely read thru the instruction book to know how to get a good seal and use the lubricant. I'm so glad I purchased this!

we bought this before a vacation to roatan, honduras where we knew we'd be doing a lot of snorkling and possibly scuba diving. it worked perfectly and the pictures came out great (esp after using photoshop). i was really careful to rinse and clean it after use in the ocean salt water. i cleaned and re-lubed the o-ring after each dive/day. very light weight. a little bulky but definitely worth it!

I bought the cannon powershot SD1100IS specifically because this case was available. purchased it for a trip to Hawaii. Took it on multiple dives to around 100+ft. worked without a flaw. Pictures were excellent. If you're looking for a quality case and camera, this is the way to go.

Pros: Easy to install around camera. Gives access to all camera features. Takes sharp, clear pictures under water or in air. Has helpful warnings about what to watch for to ensure no leaks. Though obviously quite a bit larger than the naked camera, still surprisingly compact. Looks durable and well-made.



Cons: Has loose parts that could get mislaid when not actually in use on the camera--needs a drawstring bag or something to keep everything together.



Notes: haven't yet tested it under more than a little water.

I recently received a similar Canon waterproof case and found after the first use the the glass lens cover was permanently fogged thus preventing any further photos. Obviously a manufacturing defect. The glass lens cover is composed of two layers and once fogged cannot be de-fogged or wiped. Canon provided ZERO support for their waterproof cases and should this happen you are completely out of luck!



Their email reply to my request for help:



" Unfortunately the water-proof housings do not come with any kind of

warranty expressed or implied in any way. The manual that comes with

the housing is to be followed in performing maintenance on the water

proof housing and is strictly up to the user to comply with the

procedures in the manual.



I am sorry for the inconvenience, but we cannot provide you with

any real assistance with this matter.



Sincerely,



Technical Support Representative" - Canon Digital Camera - Photography - Underwater Housing - Water Proof Case'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information