Wednesday 28 September 2011

Active Content - puzzles, kindle active content


When I got my Kindle, I thought I would use it to read...the last thing I, and possibly you, need is yet another addictive game to while away your time. When I first opened up the game, I said to myself I would just play it for 5-10 minutes then move on to the book I was reading. I was wrong on my time estimate as I looked up and realized almost an hour had passed.



This game is a mixture between a crossword and something like word find or word scramble. You get 5 to 7 letters to figure out as many words can be made with the combination of letters available - you score 20 points each for the first three letters, then the scoring goes up. You can play in a "relaxed" or non-timed mode or on a timer. The levels of difficulty gradually increase through the ten separate puzzles.



This game appears to be addictive, and I was just off of my Kindle-version Scrabble addiction.



There is a warning on the game description that says the content may be inappropriate for children. I assume that is due to the potential of dirty words, or something a parent may not want to explain the definition of to their child, that they may run across. I haven't found anything (yet) I would consider inappropriate.



One word of warning: you will be using a lot of the letters (obviously) playing this game. I am on my second K3 due to the letters coming off due to too much Scrabble playing, and my current one is starting to suffer the same. I would imagine if you play this game a lot, your letters on a K3 might rub off, too. Of course, your experience may vary.



All in all, this is a neat little game and I give it an extra star for being free! Every Word: Crossings

Yes!!! My favorite Kindle word game now has a sibling, and it's free too! The object is the same as Every Word: make as many words as you can from a group of scrambled letters. You have to find the longest word to advance to the next level, or the game is over.



But instead of listing the words you've found in alphabetical order with gaps for missing words (which helps you find them), Crossings arranges all words into a crossword puzzle. This gives you a different kind of help finding missing words. You can turbocharge that help by hitting the "." key for "Clue" mode. This puts a missing word with at least one known letter in the word entry area with the known letter(s) fixed in place. The letters you type fill in the blanks.



Anyone who has played Every Word will feel at home playing Crossings. The controls are the same (Return key or 5-way controller to submit a word, Del key to backspace, Next Page to shuffle the letters for a fresh look, Prev Page or Spacebar to repeat the last submitted word so you can modify it (such as adding an "s" for the plural) without retyping it. Now they've added the "." key for "Clue" mode.



About the "may contain content inappropriate for children" warning: Crossings uses the same 2+2gfreq word list used by Every Word. Every Word won't accept proper nouns, abbreviations, acronyms, most slang terms, or profanities -- well, it'll take "darn," but that has a double meaning. It will take some words like "sex" that might be considered mature, and it will display them as missed words if they were not found. But I consider both Every Word and Crossings to be good games for kids that improve spelling and vocabulary.



By the way, for all you original Every Word lovers, version 1.3 was released on July 18, 2011, with over 3,600 new puzzles. Go to Manage Your Kindle and View: Active Content to get that update and any others you might be missing.

The beauty of Kindle is that you can use it for a lot more than reading. New Kindle games appear almost daily and provide any Kindle-owner with an opportunity to relax between reading sessions, pass the time while waiting in line, or enjoy a game or two in the bathtub or on the beach.



I have many games downloaded to my Kindle but EVERY WORD has been my favorite. As much as I have played it since it first came out, it never gets boring. EVERY WORD CROSSINGS is a new version of the game that preserves all of the great qualities of the original but allows you to play the game a little differently. The main innovation of CROSSINGS is that it's more visual. Unlike the original EVERY WORD, your words are not ranged alphabetically here. This might sound like it complicates the search for words. However, the crossword structure of the puzzle often offers you more than one letter, which, of course, facilitates the search.



I wouldn't say that this new version will substitute the original for me. I'm planning to alternate between the games because both versions are a lot of fun. The game is just challenging enough not to become boring even after you play it many times, but it isn't difficult enough to become too much of an effort.



The graphics on both versions of the games is among the best I have seen in Kindle games. Both versions of EVERY WORD do eat up battery charge faster than when you simply read a book. However, the depletion of the battery charge never becomes so fast that you have to charge the Kindle all the time.



Overall, this is a great game that, once again, reminded me how much I love my Kindle.

EveryWord Crossings was fun - until I got stuck at level 9 and it wouldn't let me continue. I would give it 5 stars if it provided the answers like my Kindle Crossword Puzzles do. The instructions say you can press the *.* key to get a clue, but you don't really get a clue. It just pops up a word that you haven't solved yet and the solved letters are the ones that you have already filled in yourself. I got stuck on Everyword Crossings level nine, I had one word left and that one was the "long" word. When you don't get the "long word" you can't go on to the next level. I would suggest for the developers to add some clues to help out people who are stuck. If anyone knows how to get answers, let me know so I can look up that one word.

UPDATE 8/16/11: I found a website that will give you answers to wordcrossing, just search for "everyword answers" and a few websites will come up. You enter the letters with the word length and it gives you the possible words. I was able to move on - yay! This is a fun game, but I do wish the developers would provide real "clues." - Puzzles - Active Content - Kindle Active Content - Kindle Game'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Active Content - puzzles, kindle active content kindle active content Active Content - puzzles, kindle active content