Monday 26 September 2011

Pampers Swaddlers - pampers swaddlers, pampers


I have just finished my diaper trial period with my 6 week old son. I tried Pampers Swaddler's Dry Max, the old Pampers Swaddler's, Huggies and Up and Up, all in size 1. My son is long and lean. He is breastfed, and has a large BM every 2-3 days. This is important when choosing a diaper. He does not have sensitive skin.



Pamper's - I see little difference in dryness between the new and the old diapers. The old Swaddler's had the wetness indicator, but the new ones are very firm when wet. I prefer this, because I do not need to unbutton his pants to see the wetness indicator, but my husband prefers the stripe. When he has a BM, both old and new Pampers leak around the legs approximately 50% of the time. Neither one leaks urine, but both must be changed every 2 hours or so. I think the Dry Max version is slightly better with urine. They are cut rather large around the legs, which isn't great for his chicken butt.



Up and Up (Target) - Good diaper for the price. My go to diaper when we're home, but I don't entirely trust them when we're out. Again, the diaper is cut large around the leg openings, and leak during a BM about 50% of the time. No wetness indicator on the size 1, but diaper becomes firm when wet. Diapers slightly better than Pampers for urine. Not as soft at Pampers, but the baby doesn't seem to mind. A little difficult to put on. My mother won't use them because she finds them too stiff. Diaper tends to bunch up in the front when it is wet. He looks like he could lose his diaper when he's wet.



Huggies l'il Snugglers - This is my diaper of choice. Diapers are cut trimmer, which is great for a leaner child. If your child is chubby, this diaper is probably not for you. Diapers are soft inside and out - about on par with the new Pampers. Tabs stick well, and do not bunch. Holds in BM 100% of the time, and does not leak urine. Some moms report increased diaper rash with this diaper, but my little man has not had this problem. Diaper is firm when wet. No wetness indicator. Diaper stays put through all the wiggling.



I keep both the Target and the Huggies on hand all the time. I have a large case of Pampers that I'm working my way through. They're fine, but just not the diaper for my little guy. I recommend you buy a few smaller packs and try them all side by side. You may find that a cheaper diaper works better than the brand name ones. The baby will be just as happy, and you'll save yourself some dough.

Edit (12/4/10): When writing the original review, I should have mentioned that Swaddlers did not always have the DryMax technology. This review was based on comparing the DryMax to the original Swaddlers. The original Swaddlers had a color indicator on the front of Size 1 diapers, which was great for new parents - even though the DryMax does poof out when the baby wets the diaper. The original diapers also had a much softer powder scent. We are currently going back and forth between Pampers Cruisers Dry Max Diapers, Size 4, 140-Count and Pampers Baby Dry Diapers, Size 4 (22-37 Lbs), Economy Plus Pack, 176 Diapers (Packaging May Vary) (the kid grew!). I am still not a fan of the odor associated with DryMax (Baby Dry does not have it), but they certainly are thinner. Ultimately, we ask ourselves - do they leak? do they smell weird? does it cause rash? Unfortunately the DryMax seems to always be a yes to the last two questions.



Original review: My husband and I purchased the Swaddlers to use with our newborn (born March 1 of this year) and were quite pleased until they changed to the DryMax. There is no longer a color-indicator for wetness, they smell horrible, and worst of all our son becomes absolutely miserable the moment he wets the diaper. We certainly don't want our child sitting around in a wet diaper, but when you purchase more expensive diapers you expect your child to be comfortable in them.



If they don't at least offer the old version again, we will not continue to use Pampers. It's a shame because it was such a great diaper!

like all the other reviews.. the new dry max is truly worse than before. the true test? i had owned my last bag of the original, soft swaddlers and finally finished them. the first night i started my 4 months old baby in the new dry max swaddlers, he leaked. i thought maybe my son is outgrowing the size or drank too much breastmilk, but he leaked again the next night. once i read other reviews of the leaky diaper, i was convinced it was no coincidence. the new dry max seems to puff up a lot once filled with pee, more than the old ones. and they do leak! i was a pampers loyal customer with my first child and also my second one now.. but i am thinking about switching to another brand of diapers. and yes, old cruisers from 3 years ago use to have the netted lining and they slowly got rid of it and started stocking the new type of diapers with no netting (thinner and smelly) and it does seem like they just slapped on the new name and finally 'officially' rolled out the 'new dry max cruisers.' sooo sad and disappointing. i loved pampers especially for the special netting-liner in the swaddlers and how soft they were. i felt like my babies didn't get diaper rash as easily because that special netting would catch the seedy yellow poop better and not let it rub on their bum-bums as harshly. BRING BACK THE OLD SWADDLERS AND CRUISERS! - Pampers - Swaddlers - Size 2 - Pampers Swaddlers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information