Sunday 11 September 2011

Kitchen Gadgets - blenders, smoothie


It's sweet! Feels a bit cheap in the controls, plastic buttons but who cares. The jar, sharp blades, lid are all exactly like my parents Osterizer they got for their wedding in the 60's (which is still going strong). I make smoothie-whey protein shakes everyday (juices, yoghurt, apple sauce, whey protein, ice cubes, frozen strawberries-blackberries-blueberries, flax seed) all this stuff fills it to the top and the Oster made short work of it. Ten seconds or less. I think I kept it running longer just because I was used to my Kitchen Aid blender that I ran at multiple speeds plus pulse and still had chunks left over.

Anyway, it's cheap, it's basic, it works better than high dollar blenders. I blend daily, I'm totally happy. 'nuff said. Oster BCBG08-C 6-Cup Glass Jar 8-Speed Blender, Brushed Nickel

Purchased this to replace a Procter Silex blender I just bought that does nothing. The Osster blender will take ice cubes and make it as fine as snow. Makes smoothies that are smooth. Bought this on Consumer Reports best buy rating, and it is great.

This blender does all that Consumer Reports said it does. It crushed ice superbly and ha all the power one might want, the metal drive unit seems very sturdy, and it is a great all-round blender. CR said it wasn't as good at making icy drinks as others they tested, but the only problem I found was that the ice does not get completely blended in, especially if multiple cubes are added at once. I found it was less of a problem if each ice cube is added singly and blended well before adding the next one. However. when making just crushed ice, it will handle multiple ice cubes at a time (just be sure to use pulse mode and don't over-crush unless you want slush).



The user instructions suggest using the small clear plastic top for measuring, but it is not labeled with any lines or amounts. The glass pitcher is sturdy and has a wide pouring lip, and I like the side projections which prevent the bottom from loosening during blending. It is marked with 1-cup (and 250 ml) graduations; intermediate amounts can be guessed at, but if you want accurate intermediate measurements, you must use a measuring cup.



Overall it's a really good value for the price.

This blender arrived 2 weeks ago and I have used it to make a protein shake every day since. It's a good quality machine and does a lovely job blending even tougher items (apple peels, for example) into a smooth liquid. HOWEVER it skitters around on the countertop the whole time it is operating and has to be watched very carefully or it will dance right off and crash onto the floor.

I have had this blender for about a week and used it almost every day. No matter what I do or don't do, once I push the button, smoothie, it starts moving on my counter top. It doesn't go far and eventually settles down. But I really didn't want a "dancing" blender. Thinking it might be operator error I asked my husband to make a smoothie and he had the same problem. He said he thought the blender was too powerful for the base.



I'm sending it back and getting something else. It seems all reasonably priced blenders have problems so I'm not sure what I'll get.



Aside from the "dancing" it did a good job as a blender.



After 2 weeks I am amending this review. It did help to put the blender on a wooden cheese board. I realized we have quartz countertops which are quite smooth and make it hard for the blender to stay stable. I'm keeping it and just keeping an eye on it while it blends in case I need to calm it down. After reading many reviews my blender strategy is to buy the best inexpensive blender I can find and then use it till it breaks. People even have trouble with the $400-$500 priced ones, so why risk that much money.



However, I believe this blender could be improved simply by adding a couple weights to the bottom.. Oster are you reading reviews of your products? If not, you should. It would help you to make a really great product.

This blender does everything it says it will do and thensome. I love this thing. I am replacing a Black and Decker that I have had for about 2 years now. I always had to stir, ice would freeze up and stick to the blades and nothign ever really got "mixed" unless I used a spoon to shove it down in the blender so it would all mix together. Who wants to do that? Isn't that why it is called a "blender"?? Anyway, my only reason for not giving this the full stars, is because it is a bit flimsy/plastic-y nad the cord is REALLY short. See if you can get measurements for it before you buy it and make sure it fits the outlet you are planning to use. Luckily for me, I have outlets all over my island, so it wasn't a real problem for me, but it does require that it sit close to the edge. It jumps a bit, so don't start it up and walk away from it or it could end up on the floor. These minor flaws, are nothing compared to the price I paid for this and for how well it grinds, blends and makes a wonderful smoothie in seconds flat. I love this blender AND the fact that replacement parts are CHEAP and can be found at WalMart or here on Amazon.com. I was floored at what the cost of the new glass container was for my Black and Decker! It was $4 more than what I had paid for the stinkin' thing! Again, the cord is short, the buttons / casing are a bit flimsy (but makes it very light for getting into and out of high cabinets) and it vibrates itself off the cabinet if you aren't careful. But it works like a high end blender and is possibly the best blender I have ever owned!

I use this blender every morning for smoothies. It blends ice, carrots, kale, bananas and walnuts into a perfect breakfast! Highly recommend it. Easy cleanup and fast. Didnt buy any attachments with it, don't need them! Works just as good as my sisters vitamix.

When my 20+ year old 10-speed Oster blender kicked the bucket recently, I considered 5 or 6 different brands of blenders before deciding to stay with Oster. My old one, after all, had served me well for many years. I settled on the BCBG08-C model primarily because of its 6-cup glass jar, the 5-cup jar on my old blender having been just a tad small. I didn't want or need a lot of bells and whistles -- I use a blender mostly for making smoothies (no ice cubes, just frozen fruit, yogurt and raw eggs). Overall, the new blender strikes me as of less sturdy construction than my old one. The base, the bottom cap and the jar lid are lighter weight and don't look like they could last for 20 years. I don't like the metallic finish on the base as well as I liked the plain white plastic base of my old blender -- Though the metallic finish looks nice now, I expect it will mar easily, whereas the white plastic base withstood a lot of abuse and still looked nice. A warning: the tips of the blades are extremely sharp; I punctured two fingertips the first time I washed the blades. The motor is powerful, and, yes, it smells when it's running, but that will go away with time and use. The removable plastic cap on the lid is an improvement over the one on my old blender, without the protruding four corners that were prone to getting broken off. How anyone could ever manage to drop the cap through the hole into the jar is beyond me, but then I don't normally remove and replace the cap while operating the blender. I like the arrangement of the control buttons on this blender, with 3 speed buttons and a high/low toggle, an ice-crush/pulse button, and an Off button. It's an improvement over my old blender, which had an array of buttons, one for every speed, plus 3 separate buttons for different pulse speeds. All in all, I'm happy with this blender. - Oster - Kitchen Appliances - Blenders - Smoothie'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Kitchen Gadgets - blenders, smoothie oster Kitchen Gadgets - blenders, smoothie