Sunday 11 September 2011

Blueberries - cereal, breakfast


Because of mutliple food allergies I seek out simple breakfast cereals with minimal added ingredients. For a sweetened rice cereal with added fruit, this is an excellent choice. It is low in fat and low in sodium and of course gluten free with 120 calories, 100 mg sodium, and 1 g fiber per 1 cup serving. The cereal itself has a nice crunchy texture. I eat mine with Rice Dream rice milk and thoroughly enjoy the dried fruit pieces.Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice with Mixed Berries, Gluten Free, 10-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)



Ingredients: organic brown rice, organic brown rice syrup, honey, freeze dried blueberries, freeze dried raspberries, freeze dried strawberries, sea salt, natural flavor.



I have been purchasing this prodcut from Amazon.com for several years and their packaging and shipping of this product has improved so there is little crushing of the cereal boxes in shipment now (some of my early shipment configurations left the boxes distressed). Amazon's price is hard to beat and the service is always fast and reliable.



I thought it would be bland, but not so! Very tasty cereal... comparable to rice krispies, with freeze dried fruit in it... my only issue is the generic labeled 'natural flavors' in it... i have been hearing that manufacturers have been hiding behind that label & putting all sorts of undesirable things in our foods.. but since its 'natural'.. we don't know what exactly it IS in our food. hmmmmmmm.....

plus, there isn't a whole lot of fruit in the box. Some bowls have only a couple pieces in them.. :(

and, the fruit isnt organic, so to say that the cereal is 'organic' is slightly misleading. Still, i like it overall!

I'm not used to gluten free, brown rice cereals but have been trying to incorporate them into my diet because of stomach problems. I didn't like this that much and won't repurchase. I detected a light, bitter aftertaste and the berries literally gagged me. I like chewy berries in my cereal, not extreme dried to the point of crunch/dissolve and they were a touch sour on some and overpowering in taste. Yuck. The sweetness was so miniscule I ended up adding more sugar. Really wasn't for me and just my personal opinion.

As we all know, gluten free food is sometimes horrible! Not this cereal. It's very good. Love the dried fruit, I just wish there was more of it. The crispy rice even snap, crackle and pops! You'll like this cereal. - Blueberries - Dairy-free - Organic - Cereal - Celiac - Breakfast'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information