Tuesday 26 July 2011

High Definition - mic, microphone


The Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone appears to be a nearly identical replacement lavalier mic from the recently discontinued Audio-Technica ATR-35S Lavalier Microphone.



Reading some blog advice about video podcasting and playing around a bit with making YouTube videos, "sound" in video is usually the part that makes video quality bad. So I was looking for a reasonably price lapel mic to use. The ATR-3350 is quite inexpensive considering that you can easily spend $200 for a professional model lapel mic.



If you read some of the "1" (hate it) reviews from the ATR-35S, they pretty much all related to "low volume issues". You may see some similar reviews here as time goes on. Plugging the ATR-3350 directly into my Dell laptop PC mic in or camera mic in, I also thought the volume is not high enough. However, plugging it into my video camera, it sounded great. Just the right volume. Not too loud or soft.



I went to the support site for ATR and asked my question on volume on my laptop PC mic in. Support on the ATR site was good. I got a quick response back on my question about volume on my laptop. The advice was "Look for MIC Boost in the Advanced Controls for microphone in the Volume Control window of Voice recording under the Voice tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties of Windows to boost the level of a microphone. (Windows XP example given.)".



I'm giving it "5" for the product considering value for the price and the support I got. I'm sure the quality does not get anywhere near professional mics with XLR inputs. Those mics are in a different class. Certainly not in this price range.



Be careful if you have a rolling chair and use this mic near your PC. The cord is thin and probably easy to make the mic "nonfunctional" if you were to roll over the cable with all your weight pinching the thin cord under a wheel. Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone

Purchased this mic in order to do interviews and video presentations and it has been excellent. Have a professional Shure wireless set up as well, but have found this to be an great alternative when I need to move quickly. It allows me to use my Sony HD handycam with a minimum of additional equipment and allows for a fast set up. Have used the mic for approximately 10 hours and the battery has not yet run out. Be sure to purchase additional button batteries when you purchase this, though. They always run out right when you don't have them on hand. L-45 batteries are really inexpensive. I purchased 50 for under $10 here on Amazon. Would definitely recommend this mic as a primary or backup mic for any prosumer set up where the subject isn't going to be moving around (interviews, training, etc.)

The Audio-Technica ATR-35S lavaliere microphone is a higher than average quality microphone. The benefits of the microphone are that the small microphone can clip onto a shirt, or tie with the provided clip. The battery compartment and on/off switch has an additional clip on it to attach to your belt, or pant waist.



The overall sound quality for the microphone is astounding considering the price, averaging at about $25, often times less. The material used to fabricate the microphone feels sturdy, and that it will last. Overall I'm extremely happy with the quality of the sound, and the microphone itself. The 20 foot cord helps when you are walking around a room, with the recorder set on a table. Granted, just be sure not to walk too far, as to not pull the recorder off the table. However, I do have a few minor complaints.



When I use this microphone with my voice recorder, I always feed the microphone through my shirt, and have my recorder in my pocket. When feeding 20 feet of cord through your shirt, it often times will get tangled, and will feel uncomfortable under your shirt. What I normally do with the extra cord is tie it off with a piece of Velcro. That way, you only have to feed a small bundle of cord through your shirt, rather than 20 feet of loose cord.



The last compliant I have is a major one, and there really isn't anything that can be done to fix it. On the battery compartment, there is no way of knowing how much battery life is left, or if it's even still working. There's only an on and off switch, that's it. Not a red light when it's on or a battery indicator. If you begin recording, you need to be sure you will have enough of a battery life to complete the recording.



There are two options to help with this, but not solve it. Either always start each session with a new battery, or record in short sessions. The battery required are the small flat batteries, used in watches, laser pointers, etc, and are inexpensive. What I recommend is to replace the battery after a day of sessions. The second option is that after each session, listen back, and make sure everything was recorded. When doing this, it's best to record shorter sessions, in case you should happen to lose anything due to the battery dying.



This is a major hassle though having to do this. I would much rather have a battery light indicator and not have to deal with this. Highly recommend that when you are looking for a microphone, either find one that doesn't require batteries, or, one that has a battery indicator. For this product, I give 3 out 5 stars. 3 stars for the sound quality, and taking of 2 for the battery issues.

I have already tested this mic out and it is perfect for my needs. I am using it with my Kodak Zi8. I use it in retail locations and at trade shows and this mic is great! It offers great sound, the long cord is very handy, good battery life and is so small and easy to stow that it just adds to the ease of use. I haven't found anything not to like about this mic. For the buyer who complained about the audio level using his Kodak Zi8... adjust the mic volume level on the settings menu of your camera before you record. Clear sound, long cord, great price. I found this mic through a blog and was happy to give him a hit by using his link. See what he has to say about it too as his test was what originally warmed me up to the idea of purchasing. [...] - Audio Technica - Lapel Mic - Microphone - Mic'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


High Definition - mic, microphone mic High Definition - mic, microphone